Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Profiles not working all of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpulley

MIS
May 2, 2001
US
I have a 2K XPs service pack 1 installed Citrix server. Once in a while (that would mean it happened again today) some users are unable to get their profiles. The profiles are stored on the Domain Controller. The Citrix server is a member server of that domain. Try as I might I cannot get the particular user profile to load up. Other users can load fine. I get a message about, cannot copy \\servername\profile\user (application data hot bar etc...
Detail - Cannot create a file when that file already exist. Then it will go on to say you will be using a temporary profile.

Any Ideas?

Double check your spelling and permissions for the profile.

Sounds basic but I had the same problem and that resolved it.

Matt

Permissions? Wouldn't that stop it all of the time? Even spelling it would seem that it would either go or no go.

I am assuming you are speaking of the profile folder for that users permissions. What should they be? When I try to look at them I get an access denied sorta message. If I look at the security tab, it says I don't have permissions to see it, but can take ownership etc. Any ideas?

try making sure that the owner of the users profile is either the user, or the local Administrator. If it is not one of those, the profile might not load.

I have the user defined as the owner. Administrators (group) is also listed there.

We have the same problem here and can only get round it by logging directly into a citrix server rather than logging onto the farm

Does this happen with any kind of consistency - ie if a user gets this issue, are they bound to see it if they attempt to log in again?

My guess is that cached profiles are not being deleted - and possibly worse, leaving files locked open so that they cannot be overwritten when the user logs in next. Hence the profile cannot be copied. Generally a new profile should be created in that circumstance (%username%.001, etc), but this could fail.

Have you tried running Filemon for affected users?

Hope this helps

File mon. Hmmmm.. Nope I will check this out.

As far as consistency, it doesn't appear to be the same user every time. But they have had issues with this off and on for a while.

It appears to me that the profile was corrupted (perhaps the file locked mentioned above). I pointed the account to create a new profile (this time on the local Citrix server) and it went through fine. I was able to copy most of her things back into this one. Some of the profiles the folks have created are pretty hefty (25-30 Mb), while most aren't. When loading a roaming profile this would several a few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back