Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Profile will not be deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

michelhoff

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
DE
Hello,
we have a citrix-server-farm with win2k and citrix metaframe 1.8. We are using roaming profiles. The profile are stored on an extra file-server where is win2k advanced server is installed. Now when a user logged on a terminal-server his profile is copied to this server an stored on the harddisk. After logging off the profile still stays there. Normally it have to be deleted when the user is logged off.

What can I do to fix this problem ?

Am I correct in assuming this is a Windows 2000 domain?

Can I ask why the users terminal profile needs to be deleted? This profile is different to the users main profile for a reason which is why it is being created.

You can select where the profile is created by editing the users account, selecting "Terminal Services Profile" tab and entering a profile path and home directory of your choice.

if the profile is deleted from the server, then how could it be roaming? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

No the profile has to be deleted on the citrix server. This is like you are working on a PC in the lan. In this way the Citrix-Server ist the client and the profile is saved on an saperated fileserver. The problem in a Citrix-Serverfarm is that a user who has logged off and log on next day must not be on the same server again. So it can happen that there are many local undeleted profiles wasting a lot of disk space. So in the most Citrix-Server Farms the local profile are deleted when the user log off. But in our farm this feature don't work.

I have a Citrix server farm too and the users profiles aren't deleted and are only on one of the servers. If you don't stipulate a Terminal Server profile path in the users account then a profile will be created on every server that they log on to. If you add a Terminal Server profile path to the users account then the same profile will always be used no matter which server they attach to.

Hope this helps,

Glenn.

Hi Glenn,
thanks for your answer.
We have for all terminal-server-user the wts-profile-path used. But the profiles are copied to the citrix-servers.
Do you mean that there dont have to be a profile on the server where the user is logged in ?
Does the wts-user-profile-path means that the profile will never been copied over the net to the client ?
I now that there is an point in the user-policy wher you can handle what will be done with the profile when loggin off. Whe switched it to the point that says "delete the profile wehn log out".

greeting michael hoffmann

I must apologise Michael, I've just checked our citrix farm and the profiles are on all the Terminal servers!!! I've never noticed that before. Now you've got me thinking...

I'm going to do some test and see if I can find a fix. Off home now for the weekend but I'll keep you posted next week.

Have a good weekend,
Glenn.

Let me see if i get the point..YOu have to servers, the Citrix and the FIle server. The profiles are stored on the file server and in the CItrix , and you dont want them in the Citrix? Or what? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Hi koquito,
i will describe the situation once more. We have a citrix-server-farm within four win2k-servers. This servers are called terminalserver. Than we have a fileserver too. The fileserver has to store all the data-files, the home directories and at last the roaming profile for the users. This profiles are called server based profiles. The advantage is that the user has on every machine his own desktop when he is logged on the domain. Windows simply copies the profile from the fileserver to the citrix-terminal-server and stores it on the harddisk. In this moment you have a cached-profile also called local profile for you citrix-session on that terminal server you logged on. So long this works. When you have a terminal-server farm than you have no influence where the user will be when he is logged on. Because when you have four servers the load-balancing-module of the citrix software distribute the users automaticly on the four servers. So you can see the problem with the profiles. In cause you can't controll where the users will be there are many unused profiles wasting space on the harddisk. So the best way is to delete that local profile on the terminal server when the user logged off. I konw that this work in other citrix-farms. But i don't know why it doesn't work in our's.

greetings

Michael Hoffmann

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the delay...

Have you set this option in a GPO? \GPO\Computer Configuration\System\Logon\Delete cached copies of roaming profiles ??

Hi Glenn,
good news... the problem is solved.
There policy you wrote to me in the forum is the key.
I have had this policy disabled on the top level for the whole domain. For the OU of our terminal-server-users it was enabled.
But when the domain policy is disabled the OU-policy doesn't work. So i switched the domain-policy to the point "not configured" and than the policy of the OU is active and it works.

Thanks for your help.

Greetings
Michael Hoffmann

Michael
The "roaming" profile will still remain on the TS/Citrix Servers for random reasons. In the W2k Server resource kit is a utility called DelProf which will delete the profile directory and the registry entries in HKEY_USERS. We regularly reboot our servers to clean up memory leaks, and upon reboot, clear the residual profiles, and delete the files in "%SystemRoot%\System32\Spool\Printers\*.tmp" to clear out print jobs that failed to clear themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back