Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Profile Roaming & Folder Redirection-Start menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

arulthas

MIS
Jan 4, 2004
AP
have the following setup:
Profile Roaming to Centralized server.
Folder Redirection - Start Menu applied to Server1.

Situation
User login to server1 the Start Menu is redirected to M:\Documents and Settings\Custom_Start_Menu
When user logout this information is saved to centralized server via profile roaming.
When user login to server2, the same Folder Redirection applied in Server2 but in server2 there is no folder M:\Documents and Settings\Custom_Start_Menu.
Due to this users not able to launch 'All Program' because, server2 was trying to open M:\Documents and Settings\Custom_Start_Menu which dont exist in this server.

Question
At setting for Folder redirection - Start Mene for Policy Removal is set to 'Leave the folder in the new location when policy is removed' is selected.
Will the above situation can be over come by selecting 'Redirect the folder back to the local userprofile location when policy is removed.'?
FYI, Target Folder location is 'Redirect to the following location'.

/Arulthas

/arulthas

What you probably want to do is put both the servers in seperate OU's in active directory and create different group policy's for each one, you can apply user policy settings on the OU that the server is in by using the loopback processing feature of the GP. I've done this a few times to force different folder redirections for users when the log onto a terminal server instead of their normal workstation etc.

Google Loopback processing for more information or read
Hope this helps

Skr

Is there away where when i logoff the GPO will be removed and user will have the initial setup? This way when he login to another server it will apply the setup that been copied to his roaming profile.

FYI, i already have the loopback prolicy applied.

/arulthas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back