Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PROFILE QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

klh456

MIS
Oct 11, 2002
US
I have a problem on my WINXP Pro computer. I've narrowed it down to an issue with my profile. I would like to delete my profile and replace it with the default. However, when I log in as Administrator on the computer it will not allow me to delete my profile. It says NTUSER is in use and cannot be deleted.

Anyone know how I can delete this profile?

It sounds like you might have used the "fast user switch" to log in as administrator. Whats your profile name? This is what I do to rebuild the profile. First, if you are using the fast user switch, disable the feature (control panel - user accounts - uncheck fast user switch). REBOOT the machine and log in as the administrator (I'll assume that you are not trying to rebuild the Administrator account.) Okay rebuild the profile: C:\documents and settings\"profile name". Rename the account to "profile name-old". Log off administrator then log in as the userid that you are rebuilding. Done - the profile is rebuilt. Remember that if you are using the fast user switch, disable it or this wont work

hope that helps
Netwiz

Thanks for the answer. I am not using Fast User Switching. The profile is named network\username. In documents and settings it is username. I have tried to delete it out of documents and settings and it will not allow me to delete. When I got to System\Properties\Advanced\Settings the Delete option of the "network" profiles is grayed out. I tried to Copy the Default User profile over the corrupt profile and it copies everything except the NTUSER file. So, it is "partially" rebuilt, but still has the corruption that is causing the problem. It must be something in the NTUSER settings.

Another note, this user is part of the Administrators group on the local box. I have tried taking the account out of the Administrators group but there was no change. I still cannot rename or delete the profile.

Could you elaborate a bit more on your network. Is it a domain setup? Are you using romain profile? You didnt post if you tried renaming the profile from C:\documents and settings. What happens when you try that? I usually dont manage profiles from the system-advanced-user profiles when trying to rebuild. You cannot rename from there either. Try to rename the profile while logged in as the local admin from C:\documents and settings.

let me know

The network is a domain setup and the profile is not a roaming profile, it is a local. When you logon to the network the profile is created in Documents and Settings. I have tried to rename the profile in c:\documents and settings (while logged on as local Administrator) and it says it cannot be renamed, access is denied. When I look at the security for that directory it is set as Read Only. I attempt to remove the Read Only and it appears successful, however when I attempt to rename it still gives the same error.

I am leaving for the weekend so won't be able to explore this problem further until Monday. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back