Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Professional logging off after login 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2011
US
We have several Windows 7 professional 64 bit machines on our domain that log the user off and reboot right after login. Some of them do it more than once. Once the user gets through this, there are no ill effects. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Jim Rapier
"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a big ass boat and you can sail right up to it." - Johnny Depp

Not heard of it, but sound like some sort of patch failing to install correctly. Take it you've checked the event logs on the pc?

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

There are no events to speak of. The logs just appear like a normal reboot with the services starting as they should. Very strange...[ponder]

Jim Rapier
"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a big ass boat and you can sail right up to it." - Johnny Depp

I've been refused login because the group policy has not been loaded. It is normally OK on the second attempt. I've never had a log off immediately after login unless it is one of those auto updaters that want a reboot after installation but are unable to do it automatically and require you to login first.

Have you got automatic updates switched on?

Yes, we are running WSUS. I would think it would be a more universal issue if WSUS was causing it being that all PC's are using the same server.

Jim Rapier

Were these workstations restored from a backup image by chance? Do multiple domain users have the same issue on the same workstation?

As a test on one, I would rename all cached profiles to *.OLD, reboot, and then have the domain user try logging in again.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

These machines were assembled from components and installed with MAK .ISO images. The issue does appear for all users on the particular machine that is having the issues.

Jim Rapier

Just to verify, if a domain user logs into that machine for the first time (no local profile yet), does the issue occur?

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

It does not always happen on the first login. I cannot really pattern it. It seems to happen at random.

Jim Rapier

Problem solved, it was an update that our WSUS admin released. It automatically updated and rebooted. The users that were constantly rebooting were failing to install the update, but the system rebooted without finalizing the install.

Jim Rapier

Ahhh! Figured it was a sneaky one. Thanks for posting what you found!

[cheers]

-Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back