Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Professional File System (PFS) database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlstapleford

Programmer
Dec 11, 2002
US
Does anyone know how to export a Professional File System (PFS) database (a 12 or more year old database program) to a comma or tab separated value file or some other database format that Access 2000 can read? I am unfamiliar with the database and its files. I haven’t even seen it yet but I would like to be somewhat prepared.

I'm not sure if the person looking for how to convert an old Professional File database got an answer to their question or not, but believe it or not, I still use this database program for business daily and am quite familiar with it. It is quite easy to export information you need from this database to other applications through the export feature. I find one of the easiest ways to export records is using the Export to 1-2-3 (2nd choice on the copy menu) as it exports as a Lotus 1-2-3 file and most all spread sheet programs will read and then convert the file however you want it. I have used this program almost daily since the early 90's and have written a number of applications that we use it with. Although I don't do a lot of involved math calculations with it I would be glad to help anyone with it if I could. I could be emailed at Pawchaser@aol.com

Yes, it can be done quite easily. Choose "4. Copy," then "6. Export Records," then "1. dBase III," "2. 1-2-3," "3. Delimited Ascii," or "4. Fixed Length Ascii."

If you choose the delimited ascii, you will then choose the delimiter. It's really quite good for a DOS based database system.

Good Luck,
Danann

I am so thankful I found this thread. We have been using PFS for ages and now are converting to access 2000. I know about the export function in PFS, but I am not quite clear on how 'data' from PFS gets in the correct fields in access 2000. So I haven't taken that plunge yet. Field names in PFS are different then the ones in access. Also, how do the relationships develop when the 'flat' data base is transfered to access?

Thanks in advance!

I have a file made with PFS 2.0 that someone has accidently put a password on. Does anyone know of a program that will reveal the password?

snadboy revelation might be a possibility.

-------------------------------------
It's 10 O'Clock ( somewhere! ).
Are your registry and data backed up?

Unfortunately this is a dos program and there is nothing to reveal. But thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back