Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Professional File System (PFS) database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlstapleford

Programmer
Dec 11, 2002
US
Does anyone know how to export a Professional File System (PFS) database (a 12 or more year old database program) to a comma or tab separated value file or some other database format that Access 2000 can read? I am unfamiliar with the database and its files. I haven’t even seen it yet but I would like to be somewhat prepared.

Did you get an answer to your question? I am looking for the same answer! Thanks!

No, I didn't get an answer yet but I got a copy of the program. Just haven't had time to work with it. I'll post if I find an answer to my question.

google search on PFS data base conversion appears to give some hits.

Hi
I found out how to extract data from PFS: Professional File over the weekend. You have to go through a few steps in the software, but instead of sending your report to "print" you send it to disk. You have three options to send it to print, to the screen, or to disk.

If you choose disk, you can then select ASCII format and nominate your field separators. I am so ecstatic that I found this on the weekend as I have to upload 100's of thousands of pages of information into my new database program.

You can e-mail me at colshell@bigpond.net.au to get the more detailed instructions if you are still struggling.

About 8-9 years ago, I used PFS 2.0 (that's what the client had already purchased) to create a database. The client has faithfully backed up the data, but their hard drive crashed and they can't find their original diskettes. Does anyone know where I can get hold of this program?

If the first choice suite would work you could give online auctions a try.

As a frequent (and current) user of Professional File 2.0 I'd be quite happy to email you a winzip of the program if you send me your email address - I haven't worked out how to attach a file to a thread yet. You can email me via my website to send me your address. Don't worry about the download size - the unzipped program files are only about 700k.

PS. I love Professional File (even if I am outgrowing it) See my thread elsewhere "Antique DOS database Overload".
Jacq.

Dear Danaan,
Tried again today to send you that file. Not sure I'm getting through though! Let me know.
Jacq.

I have a similar problem.
I have a client that runs a DOS program on WIndows 95. All the database generated using this program has been backup.We are trying to switch this computer with a Windows 98, but DOS 4.10.2222 canot read this database.
Is there anything in Win 98 version of DOS that we can twick to accomodate our needs?

I use both regularly and haven't run across any difference that would affect reading files.
What kind of failure are you having?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I wish to publicly express my appreciation to Jacq. Unfortunately, when we tried to open the clients database, we were informed that the database had been created with the USA version of the software and the International version couldn't (wouldn"t?) open it.

So, I'm still looking for the US version of PFS 2.0. Any other helpers out there?

Danann

Dear Danaan,
Just a thought, but have you tried opening the file with Option 2 :Select Data file to share, instead of Option 1: Select data file. It might make a difference.

Also, to the person with the corrupted file problem - try the following. First, select the corrupt file and use option 4 sub option 2 to copy the form design under a different name. Secondly use option 6 sub-option 4 to try to recover the data records - WARNING do not give the "recover to" file the same name as either the empty form design OR the original file itself or you will loose it! Recovery can take a while, depending on the size of the drive the file lives on, so go and have a tea or coffee or something! If sucessful, you will end up with a set of records that you can copy into the empty form design, thus recreating the original file. I have had this problem now and then, all I can say is BACKUP YOUR DATA FILES AFTER EVERY SIGNIFICANT CHANGE! It does seem slightly more likely to happen in files with many indexes, large files approaching the 8 meg limit, and files where there have been repeasted replace operations - if any of these things are true it is a good idea to compact your file(s) regularly by using main menu option 1 sub option 2 or 3 (it doesn't matter which if you're not making any changes) this process will purge the filespace of any deleted records and recreate all the indexes from scratch. Again before doing this ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF THE ORIGINAL FILE - JUST IN CASE!

Best of Luck,
Jacq.

jfelis,

Although opening it as a shared file didn't work, I tried to recover the file and IT WORKED. Thanks to your thinking outside the box, you are hearing from a very happy camper.

Thanks again to you and Jacq.

Danann

I have a customer still using PFS File, and he wants to continue using it. However, I can't really support it. Does anyone have a feel for a good database to transfer him to? He wants something with the ease of use of PFS and likes the forms "fill-in" options. Thanks in advance.

This turned up in a search today, know nothing about it but thought I'd post the link here in case it would help someone.

-------------------------------------
It's 10 O'Clock ( somewhere! ).
Are your registry and data backed up?

Dear Diogenes10,
I checked the link you suggested but it is a dead end. PFS:First Choice was a very early attempt at an integated program Suite (ALA Claris Works, MS Works etc) and it apparently doesn't share the same file format - I downloaded a test copy and tried the conversion but got stopped at the first hurdle. (The converter refuses to recognise the file type!).
Thanks for trying though,
Jacq.

Hi Jacq.
Sorry it didnt work-thought I'd come up with a good solution.

Regrets now from last weekend-I had my hands on an inexpensive copy of pfs file-guess I should have bought it. (although I think I could come up with a store address and get it by mail at about twice the price.) I came into a copy of first choice a couple of months ago at a thrift shop and thought that would cover the pfs file if I wanted to try it.

-------------------------------------
It's 10 O'Clock ( somewhere! ).
Are your registry and data backed up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back