Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

professional file 2.0 windows version

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlejoe54

Technical User
May 13, 2010
US
I've been using professional file 2.0 in my business for several years. It says it was copywrited in 1988. Anyway, I really need to switch to windows so it would be easier to copy and paste and also have drop down menus, etc. Does anyone know if Professional File has a windows version? If not, does anyone know something out there that you could use that would import data from dos? Also, is there a website for this company that might be able to answer some of my questions? This 8-meg limit is making me have to delete or move some of my older invoices to another file.
Any help would be appreciated!
Joe

I also still use an old DOS type database programme, and jolly good it is too! Mine has the advantage of being able to export data in a format which Excel for example, can understand. I assume that there is no such export facility with Professional File...?

Can you view the database file(s) that the programme creates? Are they in any form of tabular or comma-delimited format? That at least might enable you to import the data into another programme.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Thanks for responding G0AOZ

Yes, I've designed it as an invoice type. It has fields like last name, 1st name, address, phone #, date, symptom, parts, labor, tax, total amount, etc.

If Professional File doesn't have a windows version, do you know of something out there that might fit my needs? I don't think a spreadsheet with all the cells would work. I know I would have to design my fields, but that is what I did with professional file. Maybe it would and I just haven't played with it enough. I think professional file has an export feature on it that would help me transfer all my invoices to a windows version.
I'm open to any suggestions.
Joe

Whilst I still extol the virtues of the Q&A DOS database that I use, it is for a single purpose only. I have tailored it specifically for my needs - it manages the local tennis club membership and produces reports when needed. I have virtually no experience of any other database...

I think what I would try first is to see if indeed you can export data from Professional File and successfully import it into something like Microsoft Excel, assuming you have that software available. Treat this simply as a trial to see if it works.

Microsoft Access is a possible choice, but maybe an expensive one unless you are going to use it very regularly. It is my understanding it takes a while to learn how to use it properly, and there may be other better, quicker, cheaper alternatives. Do a Google search for "Simple Windows Database" - this may give you few ideas...

Good luck.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back