Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Product vs Process WBS for performance measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.

louarnold

Programmer
Oct 13, 2010
CA
In order to assess performance of development projects, what is the preferred form of the WBS?

The projects are carried out by a company on a contract basis. The projects produce products consisting of hardware and software. The products are similar, but the skills are typically the same. The objective is to determine the preformance of the company carrying out these projects so that they can determine how successful they might be in other possible projects. (In essense - how well are they estimating?)

It would seem in this case that the process-based WBS seems appropriate. Is this true or not?

That's not a helpful answer, but thanks anyway.

hmmmm....I'll take a shot! Let me paraphrase the question:
"The objective is to determine the preformance of the company carrying out these projects" (In essense - how well are they estimating?).

I would simply ask for the baseline plan and then track the performance. I'm not sure I would care how a company I am contracting with structures their WBS as long as they are completing deliverables (and the project) on time and I would say within budget, but if we have a fixed price contract....then they can worry about going over budget.

If that still misses the mark, you will find more information on creating the WBS here:

JBlack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back