Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Product / Shipping labels

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjbennett

MIS
Feb 8, 2005
US
I need to find out what other Manufacturing companies do to print Product and Shipping labels. Is there a way from within Macola to print them, is there a third party program that others use, or do they use complete custom programs to print the Product and Shipping labels?

Right now we print out the work order (W/O) from Macola and send it to the shop. When they build the product they scan on the W/O and a customized Access database gets the information from Macola, assigns it a Serial Number (automatic number) and then the shop employee picks what product they need a label for. The database then decides what label to use and sends the data to a “Label Program” which loads the correct formatted label and prints the number of labels requested from the employee. It then prints out the shipping label for the product.

Is there a more "automated" way of doing this, that others are doing?

Progression or ES? Version of Macola? You should never ask a question without providing this info.

Shipping labels would seem to be more of an OE process and totally independent of Shop or POP
Orders (there is no such thing as a "Work Order" in Macola). Unless of course you are manufacturing to order, in which case there is a link.

Are you using EDI? If so the labels are part of EDI.

If you are not using EDI I would use Flexibility (vba for Macola) or event manager to generate the labels in a crystal report. Even if you are in a make to order environment, I would base the labels from the OE order. You would need to do this after the serial number is assigned in Macola, which is dependent on your OE setup.

Software Training, Implementation, Programming and Support for Macola Progression, Macola ES, Synergy, and Crystal Reports. Check out our Macola tools:

Excuse me,ES.
Thank you, we call them Work Orders.....it is the Production Order from POP.
Unless you tie them together!
Not using EDI, probably should.

So I guess the answer is, NO there is not a "more "automated" way of doing this".

Thank you.

You need to reread my post. Do you own Flexibility? That would be ideal, and this would be totally automated. If not you can still write a crystal report to get this data directly from the OEORDLIN_SQL table.

Software Training, Implementation, Programming and Support for Macola Progression, Macola ES, Synergy, and Crystal Reports. Check out our Macola tools:

If you are looking at the larger picture of shipping, you might want to explore using an integrated shipping system to produce the shipping labels. There are even systems that integrate with Macola that track which items are in which packages for complete traceability of the shipment.

We're on Macola ES.

Shipping labels:
We use Starship ( for our parcel shipments. For LTL shipping labels we use Label Matrix ( linked to our OE tables.

Product labels:
We use Label Matrix linked to an Access database. We have static products that don't require serialization so we have not needed to link each product to a specific order.

We have recently started using BarTender ( that has programming capability way above my head that probably could fully automate both your product and shipping labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back