Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Product rebranding, any tips? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

scauser

Technical User
Aug 9, 2002
US
I have to replace multiple instances of product names in 50 seperate FrameMaker files. What is the best way to go about doing this?

Any tricks?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

I suppose the best way, especially if you have to do this again, is to set up your product name as a user variable. This will mean having to go through all your docs once, but you won't have to do it again. Then if your product name changes again, all you have to do is alter the variable and everything will change automatically.

If sunflower oil comes from sunflowers, and vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from?

If the outdated product name is already set up as a variable, would it be possible to just change the text of the variable?

Yes, from the Special > Variable menu select the definition you want to change and just change the text in the Definition field. Click the change button, and that should change all instances of the variable in the document.

If sunflower oil comes from sunflowers, and vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from?

Thanks for the tip!

If the files are arranged in books, is there any way to do this across the entire book at one time?

Thanks!

I'm afraid not, it's document level only

Just update the variables in one document and import them into all the other files in the book.

If you only want to update one user variable, save a copy of a file, update that one variable, and delete all the others in the file. Then import variables from that file into all the files in the book.

When you import variables, you import system and user variables. You can't delete system variables, so if you don't want to import them in all the files of the book, you can create a MIF snippet that contains only the single variable definition for the one that you want to update. Then you can import variables from that MIF snippet into all the files in the book.

Rick Henkel
Senior Systems Developer

Thanks for the info. I am going to try this after I figure out how to import the variables from one file to another.

Thanks

In case you haven't figured it out yet . . .

Open both documents.

In document A, update the variables.

In document B, open the File menu, point to Import, and click Formats.

Select only the Variables check box.

Select document A in the list of documents to import formats from.

Click Import.

I don't have Frame open here at home, so this is from memory. But I think I'm pretty close on the commands.

Rick Henkel
Senior Systems Developer

These commands are exact and it worked beautifully, thanks!

I do not want to advertise...., alright, I will not, but a certain heavy duty Macintosh text/HTML/anything you want -editor ((and perhaps (though not likely) some other platform tools as well)), can search and replace words in several documents in one step... so if you want to change the word 'Orange' in 50 documents (and correct me if I am wrong but the document format does not matter), this can be done in seconds time.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back