Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Product Key - License Number ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

willdwilly

Technical User
Mar 18, 2003
CA
When I run Belarc on a customers box,I get a 20 digit string folowed by ,in brackets Key : a 25 character of letters and numbers. Which is the product key and which is the software licence. Kelly

The Product Key, which is what you enter during installation of XP, is a 25 character string.

Ok, but why then, does MS tell you to look for the Key which is shown as a 20 digit string as found iu My Computer > properties > registered to :??? Kelly

There is not in the native XP GUI, nor in the registry, a plaintext display of the Product Key.

The 20-digit number you are looking at is the Installation ID, a combination of the hardware hash and the Prduct ID. It is a completely different number than the Product Key which is used for activation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back