Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Product Activation Unacceptable 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwinn7

Programmer
Feb 10, 2001
US
I sincerely hope that I am not the only one to find this new Microsoft product activation system unacceptable.

I have been a fan of Bill Gates and Microsoft for a long time now, but after reading an article in CNET.COM and Microsoft's statement regarding product activation, I became very concerned. Needless to say, if I can avoid it, I won't be upgrading.

Microsoft claims that 37 percent of its software is "softlifted" by consumers. Therefore, Microsoft is demanding that all Windows users register with them in order to obtain a product activation code. Without this code the user cannot run the operating system. Microsoft also claims that most users respond to this new activation system as "That's it?".

Personally, like most people, I enjoy my privacy. I like the freedom of not having to contact Microsoft in order to run their software. Right now, all we have to do is enter a valid key and its done. Most of the software I own has been paid for.

There are many situations where it would be a pain to contact Microsoft to get their product activated. So, when I do have to contact them, what kind of hold times can I expect when I don't have an active Internet connection? How much information and how long will it take for me to hand over all my personal information to this company? In my opinion, the answer is: TOO LONG and TOO MUCH. The CD Key validation was a much simpler fairly effective security step, I will miss it.

I completely agree that companies should protect their intellectual property interests, especially Microsoft. However, Microsoft, I believe, is asking more of the consumer than is necessary. Up to 37% of software may not be "legal", but is Microsoft really suffering because of that? I think not. Take a look at their sales and size. A major reason why they became as much of a success as it has is because consumers felt Microsoft made it easier to run their software on computers where its wanted/needed. Well, now, it is becoming more difficult and demanding every few versions produced. It makes me think, "What's next?".

My interest in the convenience of Linux is growing. I intend to try this out and perhaps purchase more copies for my home and businesses. It is a low cost, fast, stable, and supported operating system. It is an alternative that I am now beginning to consider.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Gary
gwinn7

Every year with every new release of the zillions of Linux distributions out there, it has become easier and easier to install with more and more drivers for standard and non-standard hardware. I personally have made the "switch" - I still run XP, but my wife uses it mostly. I built my own machine with Mandrake Linux 9.1 (rated as one of the most user friendly distributions of Linux) which brings TCO to darn near zero, bupkiss, nada... niente! (apologies to Kevin Kline). I am quite frankly disenchanted with Red Hat. They have become MicroLinux in my opinion, and their OS is starting to show it with what a pain it is to get it running.

Mandrake is easy to install and use, has a great "control panel" in the Mandrake Control Center, is well documented, and has a very good support forum. Just my personal experience.

Here is an article that explained my position on product activation much better than I did back in 2001. I have also grown up a bit since then too (haven't we all).

The bottom line is that its still a bad idea.

Gary
gwinn7
A+,L+,I+,N+

skiflyer
haha!

I had the exact same problem with prince of persia.My girlfriend gave me her father's cpu when he bought a new one,and lot's of original games with it.But no darn manual.I started to play POP and got stuck with that same problem.

This was 8 years ago and i wasn't computer literate.I remember trying to understand dosshell6.1 i think and just got bored out of my mind.Remember in those time first pentium were comming out,and i was stuck with not even a 286.As my friends were all using windows 3.1 ,i lost interest in that dosshell,but i was still playing the games.

But not POP.because of that damn security.I mean even someone with a legit copy could easily missplace the book.Now a day, being a lot more confortable with computers, i would just seek a crack or a copy of the book.But i remember how pissed i was.I liked the first stage i played,but i was not able to experienced the rest.

Now i always pay for games i like.but the new POP version,i just feel like getting the crack version for the lost of enjoyment in my youth(Kidding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back