Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Producing a unique serial number for labels

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonmac

Programmer
Nov 14, 2002
US
Hey everyone,

I have an Access app that produces skid labels for our shipping department. These labels are produced in a report and I need a unique serial number to display on each label. The table the information comes from is updated by a query that refrences an external data source every time the app runs. I tried to add an auto number field to the table but every time I run the app the field is wiped out. Does anyone see any way around this?

Thanks in advance,
Jay

You can try using DMAX to generate you serial number, you will need to create a query table to track your serial number.

Example:
Me.InvoiceNo = "XXXX" & Format(Val(Right(Nz(DMax("[InvoiceNo]", "[QryCounter]")), 6)) + 1, "000000")

Hope this is helpful

That looks like what I'm trying to do. So what you're saying is I shoudl create a table that contains the field InvoiceNo and refrence that table through a query called QryCounter?

In what event should I add the code above?

Can anyone please help me with this? I'm still not getting it. So FRUSTRATED!!! I can't believe it's this hard to create a number that wil increase by 1 every time the report prints!

Jasonmac,

I have to do the the same sort of thing. I have included a function which I use.

'===================================
'Create tblInvoiceNo with 2 fields
'Invoice_No = LONG
'Date = DATE/TIME
'Call the function from your report e.g. =fncInvoiceNo
'Each time you call it you will get a new invoice no
'If you need to create multiple copies of the invoice no
'you will have to modify the code.
'===================================

Public Function fncInvoiceNo() As Long
Dim RS As Recordset
Dim DB as database

Set DB = CurrentDb
Set RS = DB.OpenRecordset("tblInvoiceNo",dbOpenDynaset)

If Not RS.EOF Then RS.MoveLast
With RS
fncInvoiceNo = RS.RecordCount + 1
.AddNew
RS!Invoice_No = RS.RecordCount + 1
RS!Date = Now()
.Update
End With
End Function

I have the same need. What I have done is use a seperate table that holds the number. Then an update query adds 1 to this number for each label. The sequence being, query to update the number to zero (Our numbers are started from 1 every time), start of loop, add 1 to number, generate label, if not printed number of labels required - goto loop start. I could give you the module I use, but it also does other things that are not related to this problem.
[pc]

Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back