Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Procurve 2848 won't connect GigaBit SX to Foundry TurboIron TSR8F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2000
US
Hmmmm...

Foundry TurboIron TSR8F-8SX to Procurve 2848. Procurve has proper SX gbic modules and works SX between other procurves and Cisco Gigabit. Foundry is SX and connects properly to Cisco switches and an Enterasys I got out for testing. The ports are known good, the GBICS are known good, but, the Procurve and the Foundry won't link. I tried auto->fixed, fixed->auto, auto-> auto, fixed->fixed... no dice... no matter what I try, the link on the HP won't come up. With the Foundry in fixed mode, the foundry side will come up, but, the HP still marks the connection down. Spanning tree does not seem to be an issue, but, something is out of sorts here and I was just wondering if someone has an idea...

-- This is cross posted in the Foundry Form too --

Reply-to: netwraith@pcrd.net
thenetwraith (There is a picture here, but, you just can't see it!)

Is firmware up to date on both Procurve and TurboIron?

The Procurve's firmware is Aug 26 2009 10:16:27 I.10.77. It is nearly the latest.

The TurboIron is an SLBF model and the firmware is 07.1.21T42 which is 2002 vintage, but, is recent in the versioning history of that model. It is the latest version I have and since Brocade took over, they have been really tight with their code control, so, getting a version without support is really difficult. They also make it hard to get support on equipment you did not buy from them or one of their 'authorized' distribution chain. It's bad enough, that if their equipment performed any less than it did, I would buy someone else equipment in heartbeats.. but, it's forwarding rates are hard to beat.

What is the sku# and rev# on your Mini-GBIC? I had heard of some issues with rev. B of certain Mini-GBICs.

I am not at that site right now, but, if memory serves, they are J4858A's

I have not found anything for you specifically stating the difference between your sku of J4858A or the later J4858B, then J4858C. I do remember reading something about the rev.B, but could not put my finger on it. So this is me making an assumption that maybe your older rev A has something to do with it. It's compatible with most, but not all... while rev C offers better compatibility. If you could get a hold of a rev C or even rev B mini-gbic to try just to see if that makes a difference or not.

OK well that test will take a while. It will be at least Friday before I can get to that site. I will see if I can locate a rev C and try it. It's at least a new direction. Thanks... I will let you know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back