Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Procomm Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybird260

Technical User
Dec 1, 2004
CA
We recently upgraded our OS to XP and still use Procomm. It isn't officially supported and I'm wondering if anyone is using anything else to dial into their PBXs?

Some of the issues we have and I don't know if they are Procomm related or modem related are:
After the handshake, it could take up to 10 minutes before we get any prompts.
Connect to a PBX one day but the next day we get the handshake and garbage across the screen.

We don't have a standard modem on the desktops or laptops but the same symptoms are happening on different PCs.

I had the same issue when moving to XP-
I found a inexpensive product from Van Dyke (If your interested in a simple bare bones Terminal Emulation with rlogon this one will do the trick-
you can download an evalution copy from their web site-

Are the modems in your PC's/Laptop's the same brand as the ones connected to the PBXs?

I think we have various different modems in laptops/PCs but for the most part I think we are connecting to US Robotics on the PBXs? Could this be causing some of the garbage/slow connect issues that we experience?

I have been using Procomm for several years and have many scripts built, so I hesitated in trying other emulators. However, lately I have been using a program called ZOC as much as my Procomm. It can log into the PBX over ethernet because it supports RLogin. The only issue is that ZOC uses old unix REXX scripting. Different commands than procomm, but once you learn it like Aspect it comes easier.

I can now actually covert my Procomm scripts over to it and convert them pretty easy.

A related question. Can Hyper Terminal on XP be used to dial into a switch?

Yes... HyperTerminal works too on XP. Mine is a Version 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back