Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Procomm Plus Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProviderReborn

Technical User
Jun 11, 2007
GB
A brief reason to my post.
I look after many sites and so far have 280 dial up connections in XP Pro which is screwing my SVCHOST.service in windows.

So I have bought procomm however I have a question, I have installed ISDN TA Sucessfully and can connect to my sites, but I need to know if I can use procomm to assign an IP Address to the connection I make.
I need to be on a 192.168.99.x range.

Thanks for your time.

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACA - IP Telephony
ACS - IP Office Implement
CCNA - Working towards.

Ok, If I used my windows dial up connection, I would assign the said IP Address so I can talk to my remote unit also on the 192.168.99.0 range.

I wondered if procomm could do this too.

ACA - IP Telephony
CCNA - Working towards.

I'm still a bit confused, are you needing to set the local IP address or somehow address the remote site by a different IP address? Procomm doesn't have a method to set the local IP address, although I suppose a DOS command or something similar could be run by a script to do that.

Sorry knob, trying to set My local IP, ie the address I dial out on from the PC with Procomm on it.

ACA - IP Telephony
CCNA - Working towards.

Setting IP Addresses from the CMD prompt

You can use the DOS command to issue commands to a DOS session. This may or may not be retained once the DOS session closes.

The following code is from the Aspect Help file on the DOS function, I've not tested this to see if this work in conjunction with the netsh command to set IP, Gateway, WINS & DNS settings

Code:
proc main
   string Cmd                       ; DOS command to execute.

Cmd = "dir *.* > temp.fil"       ; Set DOS command to execute.
   DOS Cmd HIDDEN                   ; Run DOS command hidden.
   ; This is an easy way to get a list of files from a
   ; directory into a file. If you're using DOS 5.0
   ; or greater, you can specify the /B option to get
   ; a cleaner listing.
endproc

Netsh.exe is available on Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

You'll have to supply your own interface names. I suggest that you shorten the interface name so that it does not require a lot of typing and removes the spaces from the name. This will reduce error when writing your scripts.

I am still having a little issue with this. If I tell you how I would normally do this in windows XP, could someone translate that to procomm setup please.

ACA - IP Telephony
CCENT - Cisco ICND1
CCNA - Working towards.

To create a dial up to my remote telephone system.

Control Panel,
Network connections,
Create a new connection.

Connect to a network @ my work place.
Dial up connection.
Give it a company name,
Put in my remote companies number.
When it comes up with the connect box to connect to my remote site I go to properties, Go to networking.
Go to IP address properties and apply a manual 192.168.99.x address. On confirming this I enter a username and password and I connect.

Now, I may only connect to this site for 15 minutes to make a change then I disconnect.

However I have at the moment around 280 remote sites.

Also it may be worth telling you I use another program to actually program the remote phone system. It communicates via iP.

Thanks

ACA - IP Telephony
CCENT - Cisco ICND1
CCNA - Working towards.

OK, what you want to do cannot be done directly in Procomm. You could write a script that drives those dialogs automatically, but that would be the only option I can think of unless there is a corresponding DOS command that could be run instead (possible, but I'm not familiar enough to say).

I believe that after the dialup session is connected, using whatever properties it has by default, you can still change those properties from the command line using the DOS command in ProComm.

It appears in the "ipconfig /all" just like every other networking connection and its properties can be changed via the command prompt as well.

Anything you can do with the command prompt in windows can be done with the DOS command in ProComm (as long as it is only one-line, or you have to build a batch file).

I am not exactly familiar with the "netsh" command, but there is someone who is very familiar with it and he wrote a cool interface that simplifies the most useful commands into one-liners.

For instance, to use netsh, you must enter that command and wait for the netsh> prompt before taking further action.

ProComm can't do this because as soon as the command is issued, the window closes and the script considers the command sucessfully sent.

So you either have to write a batch file to make the changes for you, or find a way to make the changes you want to make in a "one line command" that you can send with ProComm using the DOS command.

Instead of:

String cmd1, cmd2, cmd3

cmd1 = "c:"
cmd2 = "cd windows"
cmd3 = "dir *.*"

DOS cmd1 HIDDEN
DOS cmd2 HIDDEN
DOS cmd3 HIDDEN

which won't work (because ProComm treats each new DOS command as it own seperate window and command)

You would instead use

string cmd1

cmd1 = "dir c:\windows\*.*"

DOS cmd HIDDEN

Even then, you would have to specify the output to a file so you could read it later.

This guy... Bryan Keadle, who I guess works for this NetCool company, wrote this cool article about a little app he designed called "NETSHX.cmd" which allows you to send one-line netsh commands to do things like changing IP addresses and gateways etc... here is a snippet from his page at
************ Start Quote **************

Provided with Windows XP and 2000 is a command line interface to controlling your network properties, netsh.exe. But navigating the options for using netsh.exe can be a real challenge, and because it's difficult options and syntax, it often gets ignored.

I've simplified the syntax for using netsh.exe by writing a batch file "wrapper" for it, netshx.cmd. With netshx.cmd you can:

backup and restore your network configuration and settings
enable/disable interfaces
change the IP address configuration of any of the interfaces
change your DNS settings
If you find yourself messing with your network settings very often, you'll really appreciate this simplified command to make the changes you need.

REQUIREMENTS: Netsh.exe, DevCon.exe, SandRW.exe to be in path (included in the download)

SYNTAX: netshx (VERB) (PARAMETERS)

== VERBS ==

SET set NIC configuration
eg: netshx SET "Interface_name" "IP_Addr" "Subnet_mask" "Def_gw"
eg: netshx SET "Interface_name" DHCP

*************** END QUOTE *********************

This is a pretty neat little tool.
(I just found this while googling around for netsh help)

If you download these 3 files and use ProComm to DOS send a command like:

cmd = "NetshX SET "Interface_name" "IP_Addr" "Subnet_mask" "Def_gw""

DOS cmd HIDDEN

It should work.

Of course you would have to change the parameters and add a tick ` before each Quotation mark within the string, but it should work.

Please give it a shot and let us know how it works and if this helped you. If it doesn't work, let us know why.

Or if you found another solution, please post that so others like us can learn from your experience.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back