Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Procomm newbie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

echang2

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2003
US
Hi,

Where do I get Procomm? Is the current version Procomm Plus 4.8 made by Symantec?

I'm in the process of moving to another computer to manage the Option 11C we have. The computer is running Windows 2003 Standard. Will Procomm work on this? What's the difference between Procomm and Procomm Plus?

I currently have OTM and something called Switch Terminal Emulation. I don't like OTM and I've been using the Switch Terminal Emulation and after doing a lot of reading, I've decided to try out Procomm.

Any suggestions as to where to buy Procomm and how to set it up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

You can buy the software from any good local software supply company or if you like on line. It is made by Symantec. Procomm will not really be of assistance to you. Procomm and Procomm Plus is the same thing. Please note that if you decide to use Procomm rather than OTM to administer your PABX yu will need to use the command lines or "Load Commands" to make changes. With OTM basically you use a Windows based client which then sends the changes through in "Load Commands" to the PABX. If you do not know how to administer the PABX via the "Load Commands". Hpe this helps?

Thanks for the advice. I've already given up on OTM and I've gone to using command lines to control the switch.

iv'e used procomm since rls 1.0/dos version and can't live without it. look at the script record option under tools. that;s how i started writing scripts and now i don't do any major change without it.. i even have meta keys for adding or removing voice mail from any type station

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Hi,

I've just installed Procomm. Can someone point me to the right settings to manage the 11C? I know it's Data entry and VT220 for the terminal. What do I use for protocol, data oiptions, port settings, etc...

Thanks,
Ed

depends on the port your connected to. if your on the 1st port then it's 8 none and one at the switch setting on the faceplate of the ssc card. other ports are protocol set in ld 17, go to 22 and prt adan

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

John, how do I tell which port I'm connected to? The 11C is connected to a switch box which allows me to toggle between the regular terminal and the computer. Can you tell me what commands to enter to find out what port I'm connected to?

Thanks,
Ed

If you cannot see the actual label on the TTY port from the Option 11C cabinet then you can type WHO. This will advise you the port that you are actually trying to communicate on. Generally the port settings are None 8 and 1 @ 9600.

little hard to ask who if you don't have comm and can't logi? 8 none and 1 at 96 is where i always start.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Hi,

Thanks for all the suggestions. It was None 8 and 1 @ 9600. Just like you guys said. I'm able to log in, but I can't get the F6-F10 keys to work for MerMail. Are there special codes that I'm supposed to enter to get these keys to work?

Thanks,
Ed

Odds are comming from the 11C to the maintenace terminal it's using Port 0. But if it's a NORTEL cable then take a look at the connector that goes into the swith box it will have a label on it saying PORT X.

Hi,

I have the Terminal Keyboard File set to VT100 and the Terminal set to VT220. The terminal looks good, but I can't get the soft keys to work. When I try to change the F6 to ^[[17~ according to this post:

it causes the terminal to give me garbage.

Any suggestions?

Ed

been a while since i played with an 11, we have one here in the switchroom with 90 digital sets as a backup but i've never used softkeys except in the mail and that map is way off..
Code:
[B][I]
f5 ^[OP
f6 ^[OQ
f7 ^[OS
f8 ^[OR
f9 ^[OM
[/I][/B]

if you don't have meta keys display them, view, metakeys from the menu bar, then alt M, lets you define them. if i need soft keys i use that as a temp to make sure i find the
right map before i make a lot of changes.. and i always leave my keyboard map to vt 320. and i've used the same laptop in over a hundred mermails... but i use f5 as the 1st soft key.. there is not one right way to do anything in the pbx world, most of us still use the 1st way we found that works... btw you can assign featues keys and scrips to meta keys.. i always define alt 2 as paste, then for a sinmple name change (say 50 phones) i can run a script that uses that paste key or just let the switch run in a loop an i keep the excel open, down arrow control c, then the switch does the waitfor "NAME " metakey at 2... procom is worth taking the time to learn..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thank you! Those keys worked perfectly. I set the keyboard to VT320 and I modified the F5-F9 keys.

You're right. It does seem like there are quite a few ways to do everything. I'll start playing with the scrips, but luckily most of the time I only have to change one or two sets at a time. Is there a good place to look at some sample scripts?

Ed

this is as good a place as any, there have been some killer scrips posted here.. here's a good one that's pretty simple. if you define metakey alt 2 as a paste key, this script prints a dnb, you highlight the tn, copy to windows clip board then hit return.. the good thing about that is if you need to change or stat the set you just printed.. you can alt 2 each time instead of typing the same tn 4 or 5 times.. here's the script
Code:
proc main

set txpace 30
   transmit "****^M"
   waitfor ">"
   transmit "LD 20^M"
   waitfor "REQ: "
   transmit "PRT^M"
   waitfor "TYPE: "
   transmit "DNB^M"
   waitfor "CUST "
   transmit "^M"   
   waitfor "DATE "  forever
   transmit "^M"
   waitfor "PAGE "
   transmit "^M"
   waitfor "DES "
   transmit "^M"
   waitfor "NACT "
   transmit "^M"  

waitfor "TYPE: " forever
   transmit "TNB^M"
   waitfor "TN "
   metakey alt 2  
   waitfor "DATE "
   transmit "^M"
   waitfor "PAGE "
   transmit "^M"
   waitfor "DES  "
   transmit "^M"

endproc

copy that open aspect editor, alt f3, new.. paste it to the blank page, do a save as and give it a name.. you can use that name to start the script from a meta key.. to stop a script, alt period.. to restart the same script alt period. like i say this ones simple but it gives you a start to at least see the text of a working script

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Procomm Plus is not compatible with Widows XP. Per the symatics web site it will work with limmited functionality. Is there another comm software that will work with XP.

Nortelphnguy
-- "You're Never Alone When You're Near A Phone"
...Lily Tomlin - aka "Ernestine

I use the script John Poole posted above everyday!

I wrote this one as a companion to it and it is assigned as my Meta key 3. This script takes advantage of the TN being in the clip board already from John’s script. I always stat my phones for idle before making a change to them. This will continue to stat till it gets an “idle” response back and it beeps at you to get your attention. Additionally it watches for DSBL and enables the phone for you.

proc main
when TARGET 0 "DSBL" call DISABLED_SET ; Targets are watching for disabled sets

transmit "stat "
pastetext
IF waitfor "IDLE" 4
alarm 4 ; Sound the alarm for 5 seconds.
halt
endif
when clear
call Loop
endproc

Proc Loop
transmit "stat "
pastetext
IF waitfor "IDLE" 4
alarm 4 ; Sound the alarm for 5 seconds.
halt
endif

call Loop
endproc

proc DISABLED_SET
integer Choice ; Integer to use with dialog.
sdlgmsgbox "TN Is DSBL" "Re-Enable Set ?" QUESTION YESNO Choice
;Exit if the choice is no, otherwise
if Choice == 7 ; continue with the procedure.
halt
else
CALL ENLU_set
endif

halt
endproc

proc ENLU_set

transmit "ENLU "
pastetext
waitquiet 1 FOREVER
transmit "stat "
pastetext
waitquiet 1 FOREVER
transmit "IDU "
pastetext

endproc

I use procomm without any troubles with XP on a laptop and on a tower PC. Sure it gives you a warning but whatever is not supposed to work is not a problem dialing in and using scripts.

Like Johnpoole, I couldn't do my job nearly as well without scripts. Sure we can all build a phone, but without a script you cannot build 100 phones quickly, and each one be 100% identical to the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back