Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Processor speeds 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweevo

Programmer
Jan 30, 2002
GB
Hi,

Can anyone give me any quantative advice on the difference between an Athlon XP 2.5GHz and Athlon XP 3GHz?

2.5 GHz systems are within my budget, 3 GHz are really pushing it. For example, two systems I'm looking at have the above processors (this is the main, but not only, difference) - the latter for about £150 more.

Is the difference really noticable? Would I be better pushing my budget to get the higher spec?

Thanks

ceh4702

However the XP2500 is a fraction of the cost of the 3000 or the 3200 and can easily be unlocked and made to run 400FSB [bigsmile]

Cheers!

I dont beleive in recommending people overclock; it violates the warranty.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

ceh4702

I don't recommend it either, however the fact still remains of the potentiality of it being done and quite safely from what I have read. I have personally never tried it... *shrugs*

All that aside, I hope the L2 cache post was interesting and educational to those of you who might not have ever looked up the information on some L2 cache differences between AMD and Intel. Information like that helps you understand performance differences for the CPU's.

Cheers! [thumbsup2]

ceh4702

And even if overclocking it does violate the warranty, if the cheaper 2500 processor goes bad, you can still buy another, perhaps two...actually 3 or 4 MORE (counting the origional) 2500+ processors for the price of one 3200 processor. And that's a big "IF" for the 2500 going bad...the word has it that very few people have had trouble overclocking this beast, me included. I'm in love.

BUT...If you dont care about price at all and have the money (or if the computer is for business purposes)...i too would recommend spending the extra $351 for a 3200+ (if you need that kind of power) and not overclocking it so the warranty stays valid. But where's the fun in that?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back