Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Processor Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

deejay33

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2002
US
I have an older computer with a C-II 233 processor. Yeah I know the system is outdated. I noticed that when I boot the system the post lists Main Processor as a C-II 266 and then right after that it says Processor Speed is 200Mhz. I checked the jumper settings and they are correct for the chip. It's set to 66Mhz bus and 3.5X multiplyer. That gives me 233Mhz(231 to be exact). What's the deal here? Is it that my chip is only performing like a 200Mhz Pent.?

Thanks for any help,
Deejay33
[deejay]

I am going out on a limb here to say it is probably the Cyrix chip. They were notorious for being unstable and not obtaining there rated clock speed. I have one in a laptop that is a 266 and it is reported as a 233. This is the worst piece of gear I ever purchased. I am betting that no matter what, the Pentium 200 will outperform the Cyrix even if it is running at 266MHZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back