Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Processing CC on Aloha can't get EDC back on 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

triphoss

Technical User
May 8, 2005
US
PAc Bell cut the phone lines and we had no outgoing lines for three days, we set the Aloha system to "mock authorization" and got through the weekend. Now that the phone lines are back up we re-ran all the cards from thirsday - sat by hand, authorized and batched the totals. (luckely no declines) however, the system is still not authorizing new credit card sales. We have reset all ALoha setings back back to where they were and have re-booted system a few times, but it is still not back on line. ANy CC sale gets a moc authorization, and never makes it into edc.

Look in your EDC folder and ensure you have removed the SPOOLING marker file from it.

Also, you should not have to re-enter CC's manually after a weekend of "Mock transactions". By deleting the SPOOLING file (marker file created when mock auths are taking place) EDC should kick right in and start authorizing them on its own. If not, all you have to do in most cases is rename the mock auth's from .SPL files to .REQ files and move them to the EDC folder on the fileserver.

If your CC's did not automatically go out and authorize after you turned POS back on in EDC, then you should call the dealer that set it up, because something in the network or user setup isn't right. What will also cause problems is turning POS back on in EDC and the modem still isn't working. Always verify you can dial out first before coming out of cc redundancy.

Bo

I'm a man,, I can change,, If I have too,, I guess. (Red Green)

Maybe I am not as technical a user as I thought, I have lots of experience with computers, not lots with ALoha...
I have Aloha and EDC Version 5.026
I don't see any .spl files anywhere I looked in the EDC folder and searched for *.spl and *.req all i have are .stl files in the edc, and a couple .a files??????

I have a call into my local "support" but no response. I have issues because the guy I bought this business from didn't pay his bills with them, so they think I should... different company, different business, different name but they choose not to support me.

your .stl files are the transactions that have already been settled in a batch. The .ans files are authorization returns from your processor. If you notice that these .ans files are lingering in your edc folder without being turned into TXN files in your processor folder, you may need to get them out of your EDC folder. (suggest cutting them to a desktop folder) Also, when you look for the SPOOLING file, make sure to check your front of house terminals as well. You should be able to navigate to them via your network places on your back of house server, and check the EDC folders of each terminal.

IF this still does not work, try resetting your EDCSVR.exe service. Navigate to your windows services and search for the EDCSVR service, stop it and restart it, this may kick in your processing as well.

triphoss, where are you located? What reseller did you attempt to contact? If you are interested in Aloha POS support, let me know, I can direct you to the right people for a good price.

If this is the case with the previous owner owing monies, you can re-license the software key under the new name, (which they charge for and may cost more than the back bills) then you can get service without the past owners issues as long as your name isn't associated with any of the past bills.

Bo

I'm a man,, I can change,, If I have too,, I guess. (Red Green)

Bo is right, you've likely got some silly little issue that has been misconfigured in the setup of the system that isn't going to be immediately obvious, even to a technician. Let me give you an example. I once had store with a problem similar to yours, where all of the sudden the system would start doing mock authorizations out of the blue. Eventually, the problem was traced to the fact one of the terminals had the wrong path for the EDC parameter in the IBERCFG.BAT. When this terminal became master (after a refresh or whatever), it would all the sudden start do mock authorizations because it thought the file server was gone. Yet everything else about the system was completely normal. Took me a while to figure that one out.

Find out which Front of House computer is MASTER, and shut it off. When another terminal "picks up" as MASTER, try running a credit card again and see if it goes through. It's probably a long shot that it was the exact same problem I had, but it's worth a shot.

Feel free to contact me directly on this matter if you need some help: kevin@asbsolutions.net. We are an Aloha support company and usually charge for our services, but everyone on this board has been so helpful, I'd be willing to donate some of time on the phone for free.

Thanks all!

It was in the FOH terminals, once we figured that out the rest was a pice of cake!

So you found the SPOOLING file on your FOH terminal?

Great! glad to see its up and running.

aloha1 would like to hire some tech support for my aloha.

I was just reading this old post, and wanted to clarify something that Aloha1 said. I'm not saying he's wrong or anything like that, so please don't label me as an a-hole!!

The ans files are answer files that will tell you if a settlement or auth didn't go through, not lingering transactions. If you have lingering transactions, they are hld files. New versions of Aloha will keep trying to push the hld files through. If new transactions are not going through, you need to delete the hld files not the ans files.
Just wanted to clarify.

Adam

You are an a-hole Adam! LOL! j/k

Anyone who has been on here for any length of time knows how helpful you try to be, and knows you are anything but an a-hole. Sometimes people are on here just brain-storming ideas, and they may not be technically right. Hey, we're a bunch of geeks working with half the information in most cases. I am sure we all feel that if one of us posts something inaccurate, by all means, we should let one another know. That's how you learn.

I will challenge you on this point though :) I got a call from a guy the other day who said the cards weren't going through (version 5.2-something, cards being processed over the Internet). My first step when I get a call like this is always to send them to the Back Office and try to run the card manually through the EDC interface. That just helps you isolate whether it's a back office issue or front of house. His card when through, which helps narrow things down tremdously.. that means EDC, edcsvr, the Internet, is all good. So, I had him go into the EDC folder. He saw the usual stuff... the processor folder, the EDC.ini, and changed file. But then he saw .ans files. Now mind you, I wasn't dialed in, so I was relying on his description. But he said that was the only other thing he saw... about five .ans files. I hadhim delete them for conveince sake--though I must say, I am usually more like Aloha1 in that I paste them somwhere else (I am paranoid, and rarely delete anything, especially when you're walking an end-user through it).

Anyway, after that, everything was fine. I am not sure if this contradicts what you posted, but it would appear that this pile of .ans files was holding up the FOH from processing. So, who knows for sure... take it for what it's worth, I guess.

You know, in the time that I have been fixing aloha, there has been nothing more elusive than trying to nail down EXACTLY how EDC runs!! I've read all of the AKBs, aloha support forum, etc. Sometimes I feel like god made EDC so we could all marvel at it's existance and not know how it works. Anyway, regarding this problem, all of my edc probs have been with 5.3, being a dealer we've done a good job of getting everyone upgraded ever since the CISP compliancy crap! That being said, when 5.3 came out, it had a new feature. You know how in earlier versions, when you took the system out of spooling, and if it still wasn't working, you would lose all of the data, and if you didn't back up the edc folder from the terminal, you would have to re-enter the transactions by hand? 5.3 eliminated that problem. What it used to do is try the hld file, and if it failed, it would just delete it. Now, it puts the file at the end of the line and tries the next one. The problem with this is that no one in the front can put a transaction through until their hld file is next in line. That can take quite a long time.

If you open up the ans files using notepad, you will see that they are not lingering transactions, rather they are failed attempts at settlements or auths. You are right that sometimes deleting those files will correct the problem, but in my experience, not all the time. Anyway, thanks for correcting me, and in all honesty I always cut and paste both hld and ans files to a tmp folder. It cleans out the edc folder, that way I don't have to deal with any straggling files that might screw something up.

Moral of the story is that EDC is more confusing than my new digital camera that has all Japanese writing and menus!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back