Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Processes hogging CPU time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rinnt

MIS
Feb 11, 2002
US
Hi all,

I've noticed lately that our Windows 2000 Terminal server is running much slower: no wonder, the CPU hangs around 90%-100% usage. It seems that processes have been hogging CPU time more freaquently. Some apps (like Access 95) are understandable. But others, like Outlook can take from 20%-45% of the CPU time occationally. Is this a normal degradation of performance? And do any of you have a tip or two?

I think that's unusual, but how much ram and what type of processor are you using? And are you certain that it's Outlook that's the culprit?

Its a dual 1.2 GHz, 2GB RAM, and usually less then 20 active users. Outlook does not seem to be the main culprit. Usually it is the custom Access 95 DBs that hog 50% CPU PER PROCESS. However, I have noticed that other apps like Outlook can hold 30%-50% for a few seconds...

What is the uptime of the server(s)? How long have they been running? We recommend rebooting them once a week depending on the number of sessions? Did you install service packs/patches lately? Might be another reason. I usually test patches and service packs on a separate mini-farm for a week or two because the problems may take some time to actually occur...

Regards,

Joerg

I am sorry that I do not have a solution to "fix" this problem. But would it help if you could monitor the service or application by setting a threshold (upper and lower), and if the threshold (CPU, Memory, Virtual Memory, I/O) were exceded you could be notified by several means (pager, e-mail, pop-up, SNMP) and automatically issue one or more actions (stop/start the service, restart, run a script, reboot the machine, etc.)? This would allow you to automate the control of this problem and be notified when it occured; but as I mentioned, it would not "fix" the problem. (For example: if outlook.exe takes more than 90% CPU for more than 30 seconds, then stop outlook and send an e-mail to the administrator & send a pop-up to the help desk; just one example).

If you think this will help you, let me kno and I will get you more information.

Regards,
MikeKap

Yes the server was running for several weeks at a time. I configured WinAT to execute a shutdown command every weekend so we'll see how that helps. While the server does seem to run more smoothly after a reboot, CPU usage from access 95 still pegs at 50% on occation.

Wonder if setting the priority for msaccess.exe to LOW would help the situation...

It is important that you begin to narrow down the issue. What I mean by that is, run the database application on a workstation and see what kind of utilization it has. It is not unheard of for an app like outlook to peak for a second or two to 30% CPU. The key is it should not stay there. If the database is over utilizing the system however it could cause outlook to take longer as well. Start by launching each app by itself from another (non-citrix) machine and then try combining them. You may find a problem app. may be helpful to watch handles and threads of these apps as well to see if they constantly increase. Many apps have issues with runaway threads that can really hurt the performance.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back