Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Procedure to reinstall iMac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Jan 25, 2002
MY
Hey guys,
I am new for Mac OS. I need to reinstall iMac. What should I do? Do I need to create boot up disk or just boot up direct from the CD O/S? After that, what else ? Thank you guys....

Guanyu

What OS?
Basically you can boot from the system CD, double-click the OS Installer icon and follow the instructions to reinstall. Later OS versions also come with a System Restore CD which will put the iMac back to its original config.
If you want to completely wipe the disks and start again, use the Drive Setup utility (in the Utilities folder on the CD) to initialise your disk.
hth
John

Hold down 'C' key to forse the Mac to boot from the CD, on Bootup. The rest as Johncurtis says.

Remember to backup anything you wish to keep before hand!!!! If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

Thanks guy. I will try it tomorrow. By the way, I am using qwest dialup. How to setup it?

Guan yu

Do you have a original disk for this?

Otherwise you need to copy down a number of settings:

1. TCP/IP settings
2. PPP Settings
3. IE settings
4. Modem Settings
5. and remember your Password and user name.

Good Luck! If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

Guys,
I am having problem here. How do I setup PPP manually just like Windows Platform keyin the username and password, ISP phone number?
By the way, I wanna to browse my LAN to setup some files from other computer? How to view the workgroup and browse the entire LAN?

Thank you

Yes to the PPP question, just remember to point the PPP to your Modem.

You should be able to go to Chosser and select Appleshare to see your LAN, if this what you had before.

If not the network all depends on the OS's running.

Win NT/2000 Server's install services for Macintosh, then setup shares.
Win 95,98,NT,2000,ME and XP desktop, you need to install third party software. Either DAVE or PMAC Lan. If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back