Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Probs with redhat 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crundy

Programmer
Jul 20, 2001
GB
Hi All,
When I try to install redhat 9 by booting from the CD, I get the usual 'press enter to install redhat in graphical mode' and follow it through until it says 'Where are you installing redhat from'. I select 'IDE CD-ROM drive', but it says the redhat disk is not in the drive.

Does anyone know why it's doing this?

C:\DOS:>
C:\DOS:>RUN
RUN DOS RUN!!

If cd is from a download, then you can try to make another cd from the image that you downloaded.

Couple of basic things to check:
1. does the CDROM drive funtion with other CDs? Can you hear it spin up when the disk is inserted?

2. does the Red Hat CD function in other drives? And are there any scratches or other issues with the CD itself?

3. Have you been through the media verification stage? That usually checks the CD for any problems.

Damon Garn
Technical Instructor
MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Linux+, Network+, Security+

1) Yes, We even tried installing RH 8 and RH 7.2 on it which both worked fine.
2) No, the CD didn't work in another computer, and no, there are not physical problems with the disk
3) I can't get to the media verification stage, the problem occurs before it.

RUN DOS RUN!!

It definately sounds like it is the media. If you bought the CD's, then download the ISO image for that disk and burn it on to a new CD.

I'm downloading the iso again from mirror.ac.uk. I'll let you know how I get on!

RUN DOS RUN!!

Hi,
if you have downloaded the iso images try burning those on a CD Without extracting it.
Thank you.

don't forget to verify your cd images with md5sum before buring them.

-Venkman

I just mounted the disk on the hard drive and installed from that in the end.

Still don't know what's wrong with the CD though!

RUN DOS RUN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back