Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Probook 4530s -computer thinks that I am pressing the CTRL Key

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamtheMan40

Programmer
Aug 8, 2011
US
Once in a while I am using either word or excel, the computer thinks that I am pressing the ctrl key and I can't do anything after that. Then, I need to reboot my computer.

Sounds like a keyboard going bad. Try a new one and see if the problem follows or not.

Agree with the above statement. If you have a USB keyboard laying around, plug that in and use it to test. Also, check the CTRL keys to make sure they are not stuck. Did you spill any liquids or do you eat around the laptop?

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

I solved the problem on the laptop by pressing both CTRL keys like 25 times and it got out of that crazy mode.

With a separate keyboard, with any issues, I'd turn it over and knock on the flat side with my knuckles to get the accumulated crumbs and other stuff to drop out - frequently fixes the problem. With a laptop, that's not practical, so going over the keyboard with Canned Air - or PC Duster (trade name?) will usually get the stray particles out of the way. The biggest culprits are stray staples and paper clips.

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back