Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with winlogon.exe 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zejjeu592

Programmer
Jul 27, 2001
US
I am having trouble booting my computer. When I start it up, winlogon.exe produces an error, something like "the instruction at 0x01038956 referenced 0x0000000f, the memory could not be 'read'"
clicking OK restarts the computer. If i ignore the box and try to logon, i am able to see my desktop background come up and then it logs me off. Can't get on in safe mode either.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Did you try loading the "Last Known Good Configuration" option while at the Safe Mode Screen?

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

Maybe in the Recovery Console you could try copying the Winlogon.exe from the System32/DllCache folder or from the XP CD and replace the version that is crashing.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

I tried the last known good configuration but it didnt work. I'll try those links. Thanks.

Sorry, but the recovery console didn't help. I tried replacing winlogon.exe with the version from the cd, and it didn't work, same error. I followed the instruction from your second link, but it didn't help. I was able to access files on the computer that isn't working via my other computer (the two are on a network), but i can't do that anymore. Any last thoughts before I try a reinstall?

Reinstall seems to be the only option left. Use this as a learning experience and look at your backup options so that next time you can avoid that which is about to befall you.

How to Set up and Use Automated System Recovery in Windows XP

Although the articles says ASR will not backup data files it does backup and restore everything that is contained in all the users Documents and Settings folders and subfolders as long as they are on the same partition as windows. It will not gather anything from other partitions on your drive. That information can be backed up separately.

When it comes to restoring, the ASR kicks in after Formatting your Windows Partition, copying setup files,installing Devices and Networks via the XP setup, booted from the XP CD and pointed to use ASR via pressing F2 early in the setup procedure.

For more information about other recovery options or using backup, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Help and Support.
Do one of the following:
In the Search box, type repair overview and then click Start Searching.

-or-
In the Search box, type using backup, and then click Start Searching

There is a virus variant that replicate winlogon. See if you have 2 in your task manager, easy to remove if you know how. Thanks.

hey,
Sorry about the late reply, been kind of busy lately. Thanks for the help, the reinstall worked perfectly, didnt lose anything.

Only your Windows Updates. Make sure you replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back