Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with windows xp pro and ati radeon 9800 drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin4real

Technical User
Oct 4, 2003
US
I updated my 9800 pro graphics card drivers and restarted the system. when it rebooted it went to the blue background screen, and no matter how long i leave it on it doesnt go past it, but sometimes it brings the log-in box and accually logs me into my account. it loads the start menu, desktop icons, and even the background running programs, but as soon as i try click on anything the mouse freezes and most likely the desktop. I have system restore turned on but it cannot seem to go back to the previous stuff. I tried to log into SAFE MODE, but with no success becuase it stops when it tries to load (MSI.???)
I really need help and i really dont want to have to reinstall windows xp, but if i were to do a fix install could i just overwrite the windows files but still have the things i have inside the windows folder such as backgrounds, cookies, and bookmarks?

I tried it with both the latest driver and the driver i had previously all with no success. I am thinking that it might be that the driver seems to not work with my hardware layout??? the system might be freezing after installation of drivers on startup. I tried downloading the WDM capture driver, Graphics card driver, and the control panel installation seperately. Tried then installing the graphics card driver, but again at restart mouse and desktop refused to respond when desktop loaded, also not to mention it takes an extremely long amount of time to start the login process. running CHKDSK didnt help, went to and changed all services to which they were originally when i first installed windows xp. any thoughts would help as i also emails the tech support at ati but i havent gotten a response from them, emailed them thursday.

Well i was having problems with my card too... and all i did was download the Radeon family driver and it fixed all my problems... ATI.COM maybe you have other problems in your computer besides your video card ...

i have no other problems on my computer. whats wierd is the fact that i can log into VGA mode and everything works perfectly, mouse and keyboard work.. But last night i tried changing the resolution from 800X600 to 1024X1028 and the system changed the resolution then the whole system freezed, so keyboard and mouse didnt function. I am logged in my created account ADMIN which has full administrative privileges. I am going to try logging into the computer created administrator account to see if i can install the drivers to see if they work, because i installed all my computer component drivers with this account.

You say you download the wdm driver .
As far as i know the 9800 pro has tv out , not video in.
So no wdm driver will apply.
Or maybe its an All In Wonder .

i have the radeon 9800 pro 128MB not the all-in-wonder. i know that both seperate downloads of each driver and the WDM package don't work, but i havent gotten home yet to see if the account i am logged into makes a difference.

Okay !
It's just the VIVO and AIW cards you can install the
capture driver on.

i finally got it to work. It was exactly as i guessed. even though i had admistrative privileges in my ADMIN account, i installed the drivers on the OS created administrator account. I logged into that account in VGA mode, uninstalled all previous display drivers, restarted computer, logged back into VGA mode, installed updated drivers, then restarted computer, computer logged into my ADMIN account, mouse and keyboard worked, could change the screen resolution without having the computer freeze. yeay yeay yeay, finally in time to do my TERM PAPER!!! lol

exactly! :s YOU just needed to follow the steps dude!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back