Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Vlans 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwell1001

Vendor
Nov 27, 2008
US
1stly i will start by saying im very new to this but here goes and thanks for your help in advance

Kit 2 x 48p poe X450's (Stacked)
Version 12.3.3.3

Fault - I have created 2 vlans 1 for voice and one for data, if i add all ports to both vlans as per below then the 2 networks can not see and talk to each other correctly

but if i add half the ports to 1 vlan and half to the other then all works ok however the DHCP server is located on the data network and is unable to give address's to the phones on the voice network and the switch port in the phone will not put a pc in the data vlan...

where am i going wrong??

setup:

configure stacking easy-setup

Config vlan default delete ports all
create vlan voice-avaya
config vlan voice-avaya tag 10
config vlan voice-avaya ipaddress 192.168.10.251/24
config vlan voice-avaya add ports all tagged
enable ipforwarding voice-avaya
create vlan data-avaya
config vlan data-avaya tag 30
config vlan data-avaya ipaddress 192.168.30.12
config vlan data-avaya add port all untagged
enable ipforwarding data-avaya

config iproute add default 192.168.30.6 (Router)

create qosprofile QP6

configure dot1p type 6 qosprofile QP6

configure vlan voice-avaya qosprofile QP7

ACA - IP Office
ACS - IP Office
ACSS-SME

CHANGE:
config vlan voice-avaya qosprofile QP6

ADD
config vlan voice-avaya delete port x (x being the port that the DHCP server is plugged into)

configure bootprelay add <ip address of DHCP server>
enable bootprelay

Sorry, also anything that is NOT a phone in voice-avaya (like PBX, VM Server, etc) need to be on a port that is only voice-avaya and untagged.

config voice-avaya delete port x, y
config data-avaya delete port x, y
config voice-avaya add port x, y untagged

CHANGE: SORRY THAT WAS A TYPO
config vlan voice-avaya qosprofile QP6

ADD EXCELLENT
config vlan voice-avaya delete port x (x being the port that the DHCP server is plugged into)

configure bootprelay add <ip address of DHCP server>
enable bootprelay

Thanks very much i will try this, just to confirm the lats step is to forward DHCP over a vlans??

ACA - IP Office
ACS - IP Office
ACSS-SME

perfect i will try it and update

ACA - IP Office
ACS - IP Office
ACSS-SME

tried the above it does not work

phones in the 192.168.10.X range will not take a 10 address from a DHCP server on the 192.168.30.x

i can see in the show bootprelay that there is 1 x DHCP request but thats i and the phone DHC timer just goes up

ACA - IP Office
ACS - IP Office
ACSS-SME

Your DHCP server need to be set for both DHCP and bootp?

Phones need to be reset to start on data VLAN and then get told by option 176 or 242 to go to the voice vlan?

The DHCP server's default gateway is the Extreme? (it needs a route to 10.x)

I have set DHCP & BOOTP on both 10.x (voice) & 30.x (data)

Phones is wiped (mute clear #)

the router has routes between both 30 range and 10 range both can ping each other fine but still nothing.

Im so sorry if im being think,

i have the option 242 associated with scope 10.x

ACA - IP Office
ACS - IP Office
ACSS-SME

You need option 242 in both scopes, the data scope to at least tell the phones to go to the voice VLAN (L2QVLAN=10, I think?)

Double check that the DHCP server is not on a port that's both voice and data - it needs to be only on the data VLAN untagged.

If you hard-code a phone with VLAN 10, an IP Address (mask, router, callsrvr, etc) and 802.1 set to on, does it work? Can the DHCP server ping that phone? This will pinpoint if it's DHCP related, switch related or phone issues.

if i statically address it it works fine, pings work between netwroks to phones and dhcp server etc

DCHP is only on data vlan untagged

option 242 is now on both vlans and still nothing,

sorry for wasting your time i will have to get someone to look at it who knows more about switches because i dont have a clue why its not working

thanks again

ACA - IP Office
ACS - IP Office
ACSS-SME

worked a treat when i wiped it started again using your advice thanks

ACA - IP Office
ACS - IP Office
ACSS-SME

No problem, sometimes that's what it takes...clear it out and start over. Glad it's working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back