Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with viewing images on pages sent by email

Status
Not open for further replies.

tybalt

Technical User
Feb 21, 2006
US
I am a web designer for a large company that has locations across the US, and one of our newer modes of communicating information is to send out web based tips to our users with the "Send Page By Email" function in Outlook 2003.

I design the tips and post them to our intranet, then open the page and send it via email to our customer support group. They turn around and forward it to a distribution list.

The issue I am having is that recipients of this message in our ISD area are getting a message asking them for a domain and password. These IT users are also not able to see a graphic that is the background of a table in the page.

Our other recipients in non-IT areas are able to view the page mornally, without being asked for any ID. (All users, both IT and non are already signed into the network and are able to view pages normally on our intranet sites, just not them they are sent via email).

Any suggestions?

Anyone have any suggestions on this topic? I am really at a loss here.

Thanks!

what happens if they View Source, save as an html file and then view this in a proper web browser... do they get the user/pass popup still?

No, it seems to work fine. I can direct them to the URL, and they are able to view the original normally. The password popup only happens when the page is sent via email.

I have suggested that a link be sent out, but the want all of the infomation in an mail.

Any other thoughts on how to get this problem corrected?

Management wants the whole page sent via email so that the outlying users do not have to open a separate browser to sse the information.

I am really at a loss. Thank you in advance!

Have you tried pasting the link into the Address textbox on the Web toolbar in outlook?
Does that show the same symptoms?

Finally got someone to test your sugessetion, nickpark. When they viewed the email, they got the "Log onto the intranet" box asking for a user ID and password. But when they entered the URL in the address box on the Outlook Web toolbar, it opened fine. Bizarre.

Are the IT users using a different mail (or Exchange) server?

Most likely, but so are the non-IT users.

Could this possibly have something to do with differences between WinXP and Win2k?

Well, my thinking was along the lines of:

When accessed in a mail message (actually stored on Exchange), that the file/web server where the the files are stored is seeing the request from the Exchange machine (& its credentials), not the user. When accessed directly via the browser, the file/web server gets the user credentials directly.

Unfortunately, if all users are using the same Exchange server, this could not be the problem.

Have you tried playing with the internet security zones in Outlook: Tools->Options->Security

ie change the zone that outlook is using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back