Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Veiwing Devices 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vectra16

Technical User
Jan 9, 2003
GB
HI,
I have a small glitch on Cisco Works 2000.

When a device is added to the network, before it has been added to LMHost File it will only show the I.P address and not the device name.
If I delete the device after it has auto discovered and add it to the Host file it still comes back showing the I.P address rather than the Devices Name.

If it has been added prior to being put on the network it has no problems and shopws it up as the name.

Is this a common Problem and is there a fix or am I doing somethig stupidly wrong

Cheers in advance for the help

Hi
Once a device has been discovered it gets stored by either the IP address or the name if you are using DNS or local host (LMHost) If it has discovered the device by IP address only (no entry in DNS or LM) it will remain in the database by IP unless you delete it and re-add it in the RME database. Go to RME / Administration / Delete Device and delete the device. Be sure to remove it from suspended status as well (you will see what I mean) then let the poller rediscover it, or manually re-enter it.

Mark

You dont say if you are using RME or Campus manager.
RME has no Discovery process and relys on other sources for device lists. ANI discovery in Campus Manager being one of them. If RME is asked to manage a device it alrady knows about via a different name or ip address (with routers this is very likely) it will flag it as an alias RME--> Administration --> Inventory --> Import Status.
You can decide here you use the new name/the old name or delete the entry.
It is here that when you delete a device it puts it in a suspended status (like a recovery bin) in case the device re-appears on the network so it can recover previous configs etc.
On Campus manager.
It relys on Reverse DNS lookup to discover the nodename. If you have no DNS then the local HOSTS file should be used not LMHOSTS. Although both files perform the same function and are stored in the same location in Windows NT they are for a different purpose. LMHOSTS is for NETBIOS name to IP address resolution and HOSTS is for IP Name resolution. What makes the situation confusing is that some Windows applications will use both to try to find an IP address for a name. and some applications wont!!

To check name resolution is working from the windows command prompt use nslookup -a ipaddress to check things are ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back