Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with two tcp/ip's configured

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunkymonkey

Technical User
Jul 5, 2001
GB
My company currently connects to the internet via a router. I have set up MSproxy 2 on a server and wanted a few users to test it out for a week or so (on windows 98). So I as well as their normal ip range, i set up another address so that they could see the proxy server. Initially everything was fine and they could test the proxy as well as continuing work as normal. However after a day or so each machine started showing signs of lack of resources (everything slowing up). Is there any way around this problem? I have tried two network cards in the one machine (windows me) but that showed similar problems.

Is it the OS getting confused when sending packets?

I have done the same, but with Windows 2000 and have no problems

system:

Windows 2000 Prof
NIC1: Intel 10/100Mbit
NIC2: 3COM 10Mbit

Thanks for replying Blacky007, yes under windows 2000, I haven't seen any problem but then again it is designed with this type of situation in mind. What I really need to find out is whether MSproxy makes win 9x/me machines run out of resources or have network problems under certain circumstances.

chunkymonkey
Answering the question would be easier if you told us what OS is running the proxy server. Is it NT 4 or 5 (win2k)? 5 needs a special service pack from MS.

MAKe sure routing is disabled in TCP properties. If routing is enabled, outside traffic may be getting into the clients.

Make sure th eclients are only using TCP, not NetBUIS or IPX. Binding multiple protocols to a nic is like pulling a trigger twice (or 3) times to shoot one bullet. Can't win any gun fights that way.

Thanks for replying shinnock
The server is Nt4 (Service pack 6a)with back office 4.5 installed.Msproxy 2 with service pack 1 installed. I believe the clients have only tcp/ip installed and the routing disabled but will check them (I had been told before about multiple protocols).

I loaded my Winnt 4.0,server,with Sp 6-a ,running MSProxy 2.0,IIS-4.0 etc,It crashed my system,RAS and RAIUS woudnt stat after that.Had to reformat,works best without any problems with Service PAck 5.
Maybe service pack 6-a has bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back