Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Thread 149-714484 - String Formulas

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendanj68

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2003
GB
Ngolem,

I am running CR 9 / SQL 2000 and the problem identified in Thread 149-714484 thought would provide me with the answer I was looking for.

I have multiple records across a range of criteria - Strenghts/ Qualification/ Experience/ Skills. No matter how I structure the report (Group Headers - for each/ Use of Details/ Group Footer - for data display) to group the data at each of these levels the results are dire! Hence thought 149-714484 would assist.

But when I followed Thread 149-714484 and got to stage two using:

//@initialise
WhilePrintingRecords;
if not inrepeatingGroup Header then
Stringvar result:="";

I faced "A number, currncy amount, boolean, date, time, etc is expected here" on the inrepeatingGroup element!! The previous and post elements returned no errors. Any thing you can suggest I've missed out on would be appreciated.
Locations of the other two elements are (respectively) in details and Footer. Thanks if you can assist

Not having much experience with v9.0, I don't know if the syntax has changed, but in 8.5, the syntax for what you're doing would be:

//@initialise
WhilePrintingRecords;
if not inrepeatedgroupheader then
Stringvar result:="";

Try it out...

-dave

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback, has resolved some of the issues but am now experiencing this one - realting to the third element in the Thread solution:

//@DisplayStrengths
WhilePrintingRecords;
Stringvar result;
{PCH_Individual_Strengths_Pen_Portrait.Strength_Category} + left(result,length(result)-2));

&quot;Remaining text does not appear to be part of this formula&quot; - relating to <last line> ); Again part of the original, any thoughts?? Thanks

Guys forget last note, resolved that error, but having got it running successfully am not sure that this will resolve the original issue.

Going back to drawing board - but cheers for time taken.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back