Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with the smtp service

Status
Not open for further replies.

webhosting

Technical User
Apr 17, 2003
US
I have installed a Netscape Messaging Server and I have serveral problems with the smtp service. One of the problems seems like this one:
#more serverresponse_of_smtp
To: Postmaster@localhost
Subject: ALARM: server response time in seconds of "smtp" is 10

Server instance: /opt/netscape/server4/msg-csp
Alarmid: serverresponse
Instance: smtp
Description: server response time in seconds
Current measured value (31/Jan/2002:11:02:31 +0100): 10
Lowest recorded value: 10
Highest recorded value: 10
Monitoring interval: 600 seconds
Alarm condition is when over threshold of 10
Number of times over threshold: 1

Take a look here This explains what's going on with the server monitoring alarm. Basically the minimum threshold time was exceeded and the warning was sent, these can be adjusted as needed, or check the smtp logs for any information that may be causing the errors to occur. Check also the admin and default logs as well.

Don

I have had the same problem when one of my hard drives was failing. At another time I was recieving this error due to a DNS problem causing the server to go into long domain name searches that it would finally resolve......I hold my breath when I see this error- the hard drive crash wasn't pretty.

Good luck

Spinny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back