Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with the "Power Sock" object from the group FastNet

Status
Not open for further replies.

fll

Programmer
May 7, 2002
BE
Dear All !

We are developping an automatic downloading application in Delphi V Professional.

Our System is a "Dual" system, with a "Master" Node and a "Slave" Node.

It is absolutely necessary to known which Node is master just before the download to be sure to respect the files integrity.

So... we tried to test the socket connection on Nodes a and b before downloading using the PowerSock module of the fastnet group.

We tried to use events "OnConnect" and "OnConnectionFailed" to check which Node was currently active...

We also tried to introduce "sleeps" before retrying and retried up to 50 times, but the answer was always disappointing : on the "Slave", the connection was always negative, but on the "Master", we could only have, seemingly randomly, sometimes, 5 - 7 positive connections from 50 trials, sometimes also 0 positive connection.

We need a from far more reliable answer for security reasons and need an immediate indication of the status of our Nodes...

Can anyone help us, please ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Laurent.

;-)

Have you tried to check Connected property of each component?
And one more thing: i highly recocommend you to use Indy components instead of FastNet.

--- markus

indy components does'nt exists in Delphi V.
The connection, we used, is a FTP connection. Laurent.

;-)

Indy components are not included in Delphi V by default... BUT you can download them like i did.

--- markus

how can i do this?
Laurent.

;-)

Indy is for TCP/IP protocol. FTP is an other protocol!?

Laurent.

;-)

Maybe you should download them and once and forever figure out everything about Indy components? Indy components include idFTP component (Indy clients tab). Have fun.

--- markus

There is no other solution with the classic components of Delphi 5 ???
Laurent.

;-)

Please follow the guidelines of Markus and the Indy/Nevrona team, as the FastNet components have only 'appeared' to work, and after some (short or longer time) ceased working.
Heard, read and wrote a lot of comments like this, so I'll *never* use the FastNet components again!! FastNet is totally crap! Go for Indy, it's freeware, and really stable and reliable.

HTH, TonHu

PS: I don't have any connection to the Indy/Nevrona team, but am just a happy user ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back