Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with the mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

collierd

MIS
Dec 19, 2001
DE
Hello

My OS is Windows XP

It's been a bit of a struggle getting to this point!

Basically, the mouse icon is being continually dragged down to the bottom of the screen rendering it almost unusable
This has been happening for the last few days so it is not as simple as something leaning on it

It's a laptop and it happens whether it is docked or undocked

I have tried another mouse - this doesn't resolve it

Does anybody have any thoughts

Thanks

Damian.

As your computer is a laptop I would say its probably your touchpad or the mouse stick in the middle of your keyboard that is faulty.

I recently had a Dell laptop (which has both types of mouse) where the mouse stick was faulty if you typed on the keyboard it would move the mouse to the top of the screen. So we had to disable the stick and the problem went away.

To be able to disable the stick we had to download the right driver from Dell so you might be able to do the same.

If your laptop is under warranty it would proably be better to actually get the part replaced as its faulty, but if you are outside the warranty and can use an external mouse try disabling what every type of on board mouse your laptop has.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

Thanks

After quite a lot of messing around (v difficult without mouse - especially when it also kept interfering with key presses!) I seem to have been able to disable both touchpad and stick - leaving me with USB

This works - doesn't solve undocked issues though

Think i'll get by with USB mouse and try and download the latest driver as I like the touchpad

Damian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back