Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with table or relationship structure? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantDo

Technical User
Jun 5, 2005
CA
I have four tables:

Table 1 : Families
FamilyID as Autonumber
LastName as Text
{other family specific fields not relevant to this question}

Table 2: Members
MemberID as Autonumber
FirstName as Text
FamilyID as Number FK to Families.FamilyID
UniqueLastName as Text
{other member specific fields not relevant to this question}

Table 3: Groups
GroupID as Autonumber
GroupName as Text
MemberID as Number FK to Members.MemberID
PositionID as Number FK to Positions.PositionID

Table 4: Positions
PositionID as Autonumber
Position as Text

The relationships between the tables are one-to-many all the way down the line as follows: Families > Members > Groups > Positions

Tables 3 and 4 are pretty static; i.e., their data is pre-set and will only change very infrequently.

The data in Tables 1 and 2 will grow, shrink and change over time.

I want to be able to create a form where I can add, edit or view, via comboboxes, the info. I am envisioning a form would look something like this:

Group: [combobox]

Continuous Subform: Members:

LastName [combobox] / FirstName [combox -- filtered after LastName updated] / Position [combobox]

I know I have a problem with the way I've designed these tables or their relationships, but for the life of me I can't figure out where I've gone wrong. Can anyone help? Any assistance is appreciated.

OK, I'm not sure how that last step helped, Duane, but IT NOW WORKS PERFECTLY! YIPPEE!!

Thanks, Duane. I think I will get the book; it seems OK and I *am* trying to learn this stuff, after all.

Thanks again!

CantDo,

I'm having this same problem with the same error message you were getting. Can you tell me what you did to fix it?

BTNewman:

I don't understand. What problem are you having? I basically followed the advice set out above and, the last step from dhookom did the trick. Of course, I first had to make sure my tables, relationships and forms were designed correctly (as described above). If I can help further let me know and I'd be more than willing, but first tell me exactly what problem you're haing.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back