Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with Symphosium Classic CLient

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymond30

Technical User
Oct 15, 2004
NL
Hello,

In our Callcenter we are expierincing problems with Pc's which have Symposium Classic client installed.
(Version 5.0)
I have first installed the client.msi and after that all the latest patches (patch 15/16/17).

The problems is, that when starting up the PC, the user gets at first the error message: trying to write to nortel.reg (in c:\winnt\) failed.

Symposium itself can start and used with no problems at all.
It seems to be an local rights-issue.

What could be the solution.
We have also tried to monitor this with an test pc with filemon and regmon to monitor.

help me!

greetz

Raymond

I've seen a similar issue when the installation has been performed from a network drive. If you haven't installed from a CD, I would try that.

thanks anyway but we want to have a standard image to roll out to all machines, this way it makes everything al lot easier.

Standard Image would best be made by loading Symposium first and then all of the other applications. If you uninstall symposium from a machine while making an image of it you leave registry entries since it doesn't do a good job on its own of clearing those out.

I would wipe the system clean... install the OS, and symposium first. Make sure its working before loading anything else, especially Microsoft Office which has a habbit of overwriting database drivers.

By loading symposium first all the Dll's get updated correctly. If Microsoft office is loaded first the Symposium symposiumsystem. Symposium thus ends up failing on reports and such because it failed to install its own driver and it won't link to the one that prevented it from loading.

We already found the problem of not whiping out all keys and values in Registry by uninstalling Symposium.

the thing we do is when failing to reports:

first uninstall all patches, then symposium-client, remove the Nortel folder in program-files an throw away all Nortel-entries in Registry, especially the SU-Records.(because if it if been left in the Registry, the patches cannot be un and installed)
but we did not know of first installing Symposium First.
thanks for the input!

Raymond

Raymond:

When you uninstall thaclient should:

1.- Uninstall tha client Symposium (don't worry for the SU o Peps)
2.- Uninstall tha DAO from the control Panel

Then you should:

1.- Install the Client and if yoar installing from the network Drive you should map it and check the option for conecting again when the PC started up.
2.- Install SU or Peps for client.

All this steps you should do it how local administrator.

Sergio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back