Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with SQL server installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezhik

Programmer
Aug 25, 2003
IL
I have a problem to install SQL server on my computer (WinXP).

I installed .NET and during the instalation added SQL engine. They say to run "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Setup\MSDE\setup.exe" right after the installation and so I did. But I still cannot run SQL server because for some reason the file "sqlservr.exe" doesn't exist! The folder "c:\MSSQL7\binn\" contains only one file: "mssdi98.dll".

Probably I do something wrong, doesn't I?

Thanks in advance.

WinXP OS is not good for sql server, it's good for games etc.
you should use win2000Server or NT4.0Server if u have ms sql 7.0

Which edition of SQL Server 7 were you trying to install? (Standard, Personnal, etc.)

-SQLBill

Kolt
Thank you for advice, but WinXP is the only Windows installation I have.

SQLBill
This is standard edition. I found it in .NET installation (52 MB)

SQLBill
Ops, I've been mistaken. It is desktop engine. But what does it change?

Are you sure it's MICROSOFT SQL SERVER Standard Edition?

If so, per Microsoft, that version is NOT compatable with XP.

How are you trying to 'run' SQL Server?

Based on your initial post and Microsoft's web site (ref'd above), I think you actually installed MSDE (Microsoft Desktop Edition) which is compatible with XP. But it doesn't have the fancy interfaces (GUIs). You can only access it via the third-party tool that installed it or via OSQL commands.

-SQLBill

BTW- you probably should have posted this in the Microsoft SQL Server: Setup and Administration forum (Forum962).

If you haven't solved the problem, I suggest posting the question in that forum and linking it to this thread.

How do you link a post?

Easy, in your new post you just have to put THREAD followed by the forum # and thread #. Where do you find that? Look at the top of the thread, under the Subject of the post is the information. MS SQL Server: Programming is Forum 183. Altogether (as you can see at the top of this thread) this thread is THREAD183-637578. Once you submit the post, it becomes a link.

-SQLBill

I'm 100% sure it is descktop engine. In order to start the server I go to services->sql server->start, and this fails. The reason is clear - the exe file doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back