Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with SQL Server Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

gertNo1

Technical User
Sep 30, 2007
Hi Guys, I'm not sure I have the right forum but here goes. I am trying to install SQL Server on my new laptop, but I am recieving ugly messages.
Code:
Error 1706. Setup cannot find the required file. Check your connection to the Network, or CD ROM. For other potential solutions to this problem see C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\1033\Setup.CHM

I searched for the error on MS Knowledge Base. It attributed the error to Outlook. Since MS Office was already installed I thought maybe if I set it up that would resolve the problem.

While setting up Outlook I received the following message:
Code:
An error has occured while establishing connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, the failure may be caused by the fact that under the default setting SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26-Error Locating Server\Instance specified)

Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this catch-22.

Thanx much

I figured out what the problem was. There is a Activation module that needs to be uninstalled. It can be seen from Add or Remove Programs.

Now my problem is:
When I finally got SQL Server loaded I couldn't see the test databases (Northwind etc..). So I uninstalled SQL Server but one module would not uninstall. Maybe I didn't uninstall it correctly even tho I used Add/Remove pgms. Now SQL Server errors out during install.

Thanks to everyone who read and responded,
Trudye

First Northwind and Pubs don't exist any more. It's now Northwind traders. And it doesn't install by default any more. You can download the newest version from Microsoft.com.

What error are you getting during install? What component didn't uninstall correctly?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back