Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with snmptrapd.conf

Status
Not open for further replies.

pluscarden

Programmer
Jan 26, 2004
GB
I am running snmptrapd version 5.1.2 on a server with Linux ES 4 installed.

I have configured the /etc/snmp/snmptrapd.conf file to call a script for all incoming traps :

traphandle default /usr/sbin/snmptthandler

But whenever a trap is sent to my server the above script is not run. Instead, the following error message is being logged in /var/log/messages:

Sep 5 15:48:00 hnsrnoh1 kernel: audit(1157467680.732:0): avc: denied { write } for pid=23819 exe=/usr/sbin/snmptrapd path=pipe:[486588] dev=pipefs ino=486588 scontext=root:system_r:snmpd_ttcontext=root:system_r:snmpd_t tclass=fifo_file

I have tried it with different scripts and get exactly the same result.

Has anyone any ideas what the problem could be?

Problem solved! Those messages relate to SELinux which is apparently some kind of new prototype security feature shipped with later releases of RedHat Linux. I just disabled it...and things starting working.

But I understand I could of equally amended the policy settings to remove the restrictions affecting snmptrapd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back