Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with scandisk when trying to istall win 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

redroach

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2001
GB
i had a problem with HIMEN.SYS and could not load windows. i changed my ram and still the same. i didnt have anything important on my hard drive so decided to format the hard drive and reistall windows. first of all after formating i was getting a message "bad partition table", i deleted and reset the partitions using fdisk, then drive formated fine but when i try to install windows 98SE scan disk runs, but stops halfway through and gives a message saying something like - scandisk found lost clusters, the problem has been fixed but the file structure of the drive has changed so scandisk will have to run again from the beggining. when scandisk re runs the same thing happens again and again after that.

any help much appriciated

RED

it sounds to me like you have bad clusters on your hard drive, but unfortunately there is no software fix available that i know of to repair the problem, so it looks as if your hard drive is no good anymore. However i may be wrong, it could be a specification problem with your computer. You should try to install windows 95 on your machine and if this goes on alright then you should run scandisk or look for some software on the internet. I would recommend Norton Utilities 2002 if you can get hold of it for fixing software problems. Sorry but that is all the advice i can give. c'ya, Ashley :D

Before trying to format, try and run a scan disk from dos, but change the type of scan to thorough. This will perform a surface scan and take a long time to run, but will detect any bad clusters and repair it, by isolating the bad clusters and making the clusters unusable.

thanks for the advice u guys. how do i do a thorough scan from dos?

thanx again

RED

You can run the scan disk in DOS, by starting the computer in DOS and at the c: prompt, type "scandisk" when the dialog box opens up, just check thorough and then start and you are on your way.

Boot with the startup floppy and get to the A:\> prompt. Once there
type fdisk /mbr. Do this several times to insure that it did its thing.
This command will clean out the mbr fully.
Now type format c:/s .
Next ,
Fdisk and format , your hard drive . Do not reboot your system but
run fdisk /mbr .
Then reboot your system .

-----------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back