Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with roaming profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlobalBrain

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
GB
I’m having some problems with roaming profiles failing to copy to the workstations. This problem is occurring very randomly, and it’s happening in one room only (32 machines). I’ve got Netware 6.5, ZENWorks for Desktops 4, Win XP Pro and using client 4.91 sp1.
I have tested cabling (with Fluke NetTool, there is no problems), got new switch (the same make as “core” switches, running 1Gb/s, keep monitoring switch- there is no collisions, delays or any problems at all ), did clean install on the workstations and problem is still there.!!
I’m running out of ideas! Any suggestions welcome!!!
Thank you.

Forgot to add. The error log on the server has following errors (I’m not sure if they are related to the problem or not):

POLICY MANAGER - (5.00-099): Unable to request a connection license unit because a server base license unit has not been obtained. Verify that a server base license is installed and that license units are available for server SERVERNAME
(username path)
3-11-2005 11:27:50 am: SERVER-5.70-3651
Severity = 1 Locus = 14 Class = 2

That error means that no Server license is associated with the server... or the server is unable to find a server license -- it looks in it's own container and then up the tree to [root]. it won't look sideways.

But a server with no server license will only allow 2-3 connections. That may prevent the workstation from being able to connect to the network to obtain the profiles.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Thank you. But how do you install licenses and what licenses do I need? When server had been installed all licenses were installed with it. Server is running for over 1 year without any problems with 1200 users logging in fine, all problems started when I installed ZENWorks this summer.

Don't know. But I can say that your error message is pretty old. It goes back to March. Didn't notice that before. Maybe that error message has nothing to do with this problem. Is that the last entry?

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

No, they appearing regularly (just copied it from the bottom of the log).
I now even thinking if there big power cable in the wall near by, that messing things up, but there is no errors or delays with the signal.

Delete the NSL_LSP_<servername> object for this server then execute setupnls; this will reinitialize licensing services on the server and correct any corruption problem that may have occured.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back