Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Remote IP Phone Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithm03IP

Technical User
Mar 10, 2009
GB
I have a site which has an IP500 with a Zyxel VPN router connected to an ADSL line with a home user with the same VPN router and a IP5602 phone. I am having very poor speech quality but everything I try to resolve this fails...

What am I missing.

start by listing what you have already tried to resolve it.

also what version is the ip500 running?

0118999 88199 9119725..3

IP500 is running 4.2.11 software and we have got the site to site VPN setup via the routers. We have tried to increase the bandwidth, change the phone, made sure QOS was set to off and also made sure the round trip was lest than 80ms.

So where do I go from here....

try to use the phone without any other devices running on the remote site.
Best would be of course a network assessment to know if your bandwidth is sufficient at all times but short of that try it that way. If you still have bad quality then it might just be the delay on the connection.
I suspect that you have the connection straight over the Internet, or do you have a rented connection? If so then there might just be congestion between the points.
Actually I just thought of it, maybe the congestion is at the main site so if you can monitor the bandwidth used at the main site do that too.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

what codec are you using on the IP Extension? Set it to Auto or G729.

Are you getting bad quality for internal calls as well as trunk calls?

Are you using Analogue Trunks?

They only have a phone plugged in and we have tried on both G729 and G711. The poor quality are on internal and external call and they have ISDN2e lines.

that pretty much eliminates Avaya from the equation, this is a bandwidth/contention/congestion issue on 1 side or the other.

WE have looked at the bandwidth/contention and we haven't seen anything, the contention ratio is 5:1 and they are getting an upload speed of 786kps.. We have do a ping test on loaded link and we still got a round trip of 100ms.

Anything else we can try?

Thanks

ping is an indicator but not really reliable to see if you get a higher delay on real packets.
do a network assessment then you know for sure if there are packets discarded due to delay

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

Make a call with the phone
Press the options button and go to call quality
Look how much jitter/delay there is

It sound like the neightbours are heavy downloaders :)
ADSL does not have QOS

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back