Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with remote desktop web connection! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcfrasco

IS-IT--Management
Apr 27, 2001
US
I have remote desktop setup on my computer at work and have successfully connected to it with a laptop using dial up and an outside line. My problem is that I would like to attach to it from home and have unable to successfully connect. I have Win XP professional on both machines, home and work, and when I enter the IP address of my computer at work I get the appropriate web page, tsweb, to begin entering the information but after entering the IP address of the computer it seems to fail at executing yhe active x control to send the information to the remote computer. I say this because when I click "connect" it does absolutely nothing. I have installed the web component on my hone computer and I a have installed the appropriate web connection components at work. What have I missed to make it work?

i appreciate any help in this matter.

jcfrasco

Let's make sure that I'm following along correctly...

1)Using a laptop to dial directly to the work machine, RD is successful.
2)Trying to connect with the home machine (through the internet?) fails.

If the above is correct, what's between the home computer and the work computer? Is there a firewall or NAT device on the work side? If so, set the firewall or NAT device to forward port 3389 to the work computer.

smah,

Number 1) is correct but number 2) is not. I'm actually trying to connect to the same work machine from my machine at home. My work machine is behind a firewall but I allowed access to the necessary port and was able to connect to it using a laptop and an outside line to dial up to the internet and then access my computer. The problem is when I try to use my home computer I can get the appropriate login screen, tsweb, but when I enter the information and click "Connect" it does absolutely nothing.

Thanks for any assistance you can render.

jcfrasco

I'm not exactly sure how the tsweb portion works. Can you connect using the RD client software only? On your home machine, it can be found at Start, All Programs, Accessories, Communications, Remote Desktop Connection.

We are having a similar (maybe the same?) problem:
Trying to connect to a customer's site, we can connect every time when we dial into the internet, but using our DSL line, we can only connect once per machine. (Win2k, WinNT). Is there some sort of flag that should be set on the server or something to reset on the local machine?
I can still &quot;telnet <dest> 3389&quot; so I don't think the port is getting blocked.

we have the remoe desktop connection problem also, at home I am using xp pro and work my xp pro machine is behind the microsoft sbs server, dsl on both home and work, I can connect to the terminal services on the server, but don't know how to go directly to the client xp machine, we have a static ip at the office on the dsl line.

I am trying to connect over the internet - we are at a different site than our customer. But I've tried with both the name and the IP address, and get the same result.

I think there is something going on between my network card and the edge of my ISP's DSL network. When I dial in to them (SWBell) I can get connected every time (but who wants to run under dial up when you have DSL?). When I go through the DSL, it only works the first time on a given computer. When I try from home on my Mac via a cable modem, it works every time. It works every time for the customer's IT person. Could our Netscreen box be hosing us?

Thanks

philcheck,
I think you'll have to come up with some way of forwarding the connection request to your local machine. Normally you'd have your firewall send the connection to the right place, but it might already be set to send it to the SBS server. So you'd need to figure out some way to send it to the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back