Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with remote desktop on win2003 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

holdahl

IS-IT--Management
Apr 4, 2006
NO
I'm having trouble connecting to one of our win2003 servers using remote desktop
Just keep getting error message:
---------------------------------------------------------
The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer.

The most likely causes for this error are:
1)remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer
2) The maximum number of connections was exceeded at the remote computer
3) A network error occurred while establishing the connection
----------------------------------------------------------
It's a bit strange since I got this message just after doing a re-start of the server because of windows-updates.

.(remote desktop is enabled on the server and did work before I re-started the server because of windows server updates)

Anyone know what might cause this problem?
Is there any special services that need to run to make remote desktop work?

-holdahl

Try checking the event viewer, and check Terminal Services service is running.

I have had this occur in the past on both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 2003 versions (more on 64-bit). Nothing is logged in the event viewer for this.

I went on MS forums, and the MVP I spoke to reported hearing of this behavior also. He told me to open a ticket with MS (haven't had time to do so yet).

Recently an MS article was released in regards to this happening on HP Proliant DL380 G5 models (MSKB 935917).

I would recommend opening a case with MS since I find this behavior happening more and more often. Hope this helps.

The Terminal Services service is running...
Some error about WinMgmt at the time when RDP stopped working.
Not sure if this acutally has something to do with my problem.

-holdahl

on the server, go to a command prompt and do "netstat -ano" and see if it's listening on TCP port 3389.

Did you enable the firewall?

Either way, a simple uninstall/reinstall of terminals services would probably resolve the issue. (depending on which mode you're running could make this a bit more complicated as I'm sure you know)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back