Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with prompts - Please Help 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefRPT

Programmer
Dec 17, 2001
US
I have a report set up where the user is prompted to choose (from a picklist)a user and then a department(2nd prompt another picklist). The reports runs through a bunch of queries and pulls back the data. The title is set up to display the user name and department name within it. Here is the problem, if no data exists for the user, Cognos hides the user name and department name from the title, makeing it look messy. I need to know how to get around this problem so regardless if data is pulled back or not, the name and department of the user always remains in the title. Thanks in advance.

In the report, right click in the user/ dept blank field and select format. In that in the data formal select anything other than General in the "Normal" dropdown and in the "Missing" dropdown type " No data available" (or something like that. So you know there is no data available

HTH
Regards
Shek

Thanks Shek, that helps by letting the user know that the query did run and that nothing was pulled back. But at the same time, I also want them to "see" the value they chose in the prompt. Can you, or anyone else help me with this? Thanks.

Open the Query..select data tab.. click the calculated tab button below the arrow and then from avialble componenets select the prompt manager and in that select the prompt/s' name.

when you run the report, the slected user and department will be displayed as columns. Drap and drop the title of user and dept columns in the header area. It will be displayed just as 2 text fields which is what you want

HTH
Shek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back