Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

stvchez123

Programmer
Apr 18, 2002
US
I've uninstalled one simple program, or so I thought. Anyways, now that I've done so, alot functions in Windows have ceased to work correctly. ie. desktop icons are not clickable. ie. if I try to pull up a program thru the start menu, I get a 'Unable to run this command', but then, some I'm able to pull up. I'm able to use the run command to start programs, so am able to sort of operate. I'd sure hate to reformat and wonder if there are any fixes or resolutions. I'm running Windows2000 pro. thanks

What was the program you uninstalled? It sounds more like a virus. I would reboot in safe and see if you get the same problems. Also scan you system for a virus the worms running crazy right now.
If these do not work I would recovery the system before I would reformat.

1. the program i uninstalled was a video editing software that I never used in x-amount of years so removed

2. when starting in safe mode, the same problems are still there

3. I am currently doing an antivirus scan in hopes that might be it.

4. system recovery. I've not needed to use this yet so would need alittle more info before doing that if necessary

thanks alot for your post.

Ok, when you get to the point where you need the recovery.
Boot from your WINDOWS 2000 cd or the four floppy disk that came with you software. If you do not have either you can go to and make the four floppy disk. Once booted-up you will be ask do you want to reinstall or fix the current OS loaded. Choose to repair the current OS.
Just follow the instructions on the screen.

months ago, preparing for disaster, I created the boot disks you just mentioned as well an emerg repair disk (if memory serves me, I think I also included the registry on that disk).

If you do not have either you can go to and make the four floppy disk. Once booted-up you will be ask do you want to reinstall or fix the current OS loaded. Choose to repair the current OS.

I have the boot disks but cannot find the cd. Even though I have the boot disks, I would imagine that you'd also need the cd to do this process. Just, before I started, I wanted to double check

Though very obscure, this has a simple cause and simple fix. It's because of an attached KVM that's occasionally (or frequently, sometimes) confusing the computer. Just hit the ESC key and the problem will disappear.

(Unless you're really unlucky and afflicted with a problem even more obscure than this one.)

I cannot believe it, but hitting ESC fixed my problem. I guess we over analyze things sometimes. Thanks, fjandr.

By the way...hitting the ESC key fixed the following errors when I clicked on almost all of the icons in Windows 2000.

Access to the specified device, path or file is denied.

and

Unable to run this command.

I have the SAME problems:

On desktop icon nothing happens or Access to the specified device, path or file is denied

Running from start menu:

Unable to run this command.

I hit the esc keys and all works!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back