Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with printing size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

therion1528

Technical User
Feb 27, 2003
SK
Hello,

can somebody help me? I have a problem with printing size in a Corel Photo Paint.

I am supposed to create a ticket for some performance. I have the ticket in physical form in a front of me and I just must change the background and put other logo in it. My procedure was that I created a new file with size as stated (it was 216 mm x 81 mm). The image was without background. Then I imported a background picture that was
however larger in size than the new document and merged it with the background. Then I have imported logo that I adjusted to the left corner on proper size and also merged with other objects and background. Then the file was saved and still stated in "resample" icon and also in Print preview that size is 216 mm x 81 mm. Then I
printed it out (however from other computer) and the size was about 208 x 75 mm. So that is the problem.
I have tried different resolutions 72 and 96 dpi and the result was still the same.

Thanks for your time

therion

P.S. Also this problem has occured when I scanned my CD booklets and when I pritned it out after it was safed the problem occured also. This was however solved by marking in the "Resample" menu checkbox "Maintain original size" however in the case of the ticket it did not work at all. Also, the ticket was done on Corel Photopaint 9 (slovak localization) and booklets on Corel Photopaint, english
version.

What exactly is the problem you are having? Is it not printing clearly?

For starters, the ideal choice for printing small objects is Corel Draw instead of Photopaint. My guess is that when you are looking at the image on the screen, it is very clear, and looks like it is supposed to. Then when you print it, it is blotchy or blurry.

This is probably due to the resolution (dpi) of the image. It is probably only 72 or 96 dpi. When you take a nice pretty logo that is at that resolution that is 3 inches square, and reduce it to something that is only 2/3 inches square, there isn't enough dots per inch (dpi) to render the image clearly.

The same happens with text.

In laymans terms you have an image that needs 600 dots across its widest area to display properly. You are trying to take an area of only 250 dots and make it display. In order for this to happen, it has to "remove" or blend some crucial dots, and therefore your resolution goes down, and the image is blurry, jaggy, or spltchy.

If you can't redo the ticket in Corel Draw, then restart a new image with higher resolution (at least 300 dpi should be ok). I assume you have scanned the original ticket, or you are laying out the text for the ticket as you need to.

Now once the ticket is all done as needed, then import your background logo, and get it to fit your ticket border as you see fit. If it still does not ome out properly, it may be that the resolution of the logo is too low. If you are taking the log off of a web site, or some other electronic document, chances are that the image is only 72 (or 96) dpi.

You may have to contact the owner of the logo (or if it is something you can scan yourself) to get a higher resolution image. Start at 300 dpi and see what kind of resuls that gives you.

As a rule of thumb for priting, try to start with more resolution than you need, then if you foind out you don't need so much for printing purposes, reduce it until youavheive a comfortable file size, or whatever your printer will properly display.

Hope That Helps,
Russell

Hello,

thanks for your hint however the program is resisting very hard. I have increased the resolution to 600 dpi and the result was the same, it did not increase the size a bit. The print was nice and smooth, looked very well only the size was still smaller than I need to. Maybe I need to set something up in printing options or so, however I did not find anything that could affect the size. What is wrong? I really do not understand it.

Again, thanks for your effort. Maybe this will clear my problem to you.

therion

When you resample the image, is the box checked that says "Maintain Original Size"???

If so, try it without having that checked. See if that helps.

Well, I have tried also that and it did not help. Is my computer cursed or what :) However I have printed one picture at home and when printed it at work the picture was again smaller, when printing home it was at good size, could not be the problem in the printer or so?

Thanks

Hmmmm....the only thing I can suggest at this point is once you click the print button, check your "Layout" tab and your "Preflight" (or Issues) tab. In the Layout Tab, make sure that "As in Document" is checked, and not the "Fit to page" button.

Under the "Preflight" tab, make sure there are no "issues" that need to be resolved.

Finally, the obvious thing, under the General Tab, next to your Printer Name drop down box is a box that says Properties. Make sure that the correct paper size is selected. I can't tell you exactly where to look, as each print driver is different. However, check every option in there until you find it. If you get into a screen and you are affraid to make any changes, just hit "cancel" instead of "ok" to get out of those screens.

Also, make sure you have the latest driver for the printer you are using. It really does make a difference. What printer is it, by the way?

Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back