Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Pop 3 connector in Small business server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

VortigernWolf

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2004
GB
Hi,

I have a small business server 2003 with exchange.

Installed Norman Antivirus onto the server yesterday. Noticed today that users not recieving any incoming emails and lots of Pop 1060, 1061 and 1062 errors in the event log. Outgoing emails working ok.

De-installed Antivirus but messages still not going through, checked pop3 connector and found messages in Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Networking\POP3\Failed Mailfailed folder. Sifted through internet information trying to find solution have run CEIW a number of times and stopped and started services.

Copied email from the failed mail folder to the exchange VS 1 pickup folder and the email was sent and received by the users. Removed all the emails from the pop3 failed mail folder and tried picking up emails from the internet pop box.

Mail is being downloaded from internet pop box, but is now sitting in either the failed mail folder or the incoming mail folder. But it is not being passed through to the exchange pickup folder.

Is there anyway of rebuilding the programme that passes the emails from the pop 3 connector to the exchange VS 1 pickup folder? If so how?

Am a bit stuck now and stress levels rising :(!

All help gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Calvin

If you're talking about the regular client of Norton antivirus, it's not suitable for an SBS server. You need to be running a server-class anti-virus that's designed for the Exchange mail process.

Not sure this is the cause of your problem -- did you try uninstalling Norton and see if the problem goes away?

NEVER allow a file level AV solution to scan the /exchsrvr/mdbdata folder. NEVER.

Make sure that's not happening.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

I have de-installed Antivirus and it is no longer on the server.

I can download emails, If I then MOVE/COPY the emails from the windows small business/network/pop3/incoming mail folder to the exchsrver/mailroot/vsi 1/pickup folder the mails get distributed to the users with no problems.

But the process that performs this function automatically is not working. How do I fix it?

Calvin

I'm having the same problem with a new 2k3 sbs server except i never installed anti virus. e-mails go out fine and are picked up by the server with the pop 3 connector but never reach the user mail box. i cant seem to find where they are going either, since for me atleast they arent in the failed mail folder. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well heres what I had to do to fix it.

We had tried all the information on the internet and nothing had worked to resolve the fault.

Luckily we had some software on the server that allowed us to roll back the server to a specific time.

We rolled back to a couple of hours before we put the antivirus on, we had to save all the users emails from the past week first. Fortunatly thier data was on another drive.

Now I noticed that when I rolled back the server it automatically installed the updates from last week, including an update for exchange. After the roll back I performed the download test and got the same problem! Emails would not be distributed from the pop folder to the exchange folder!

I rolled back the server by another hour and before the downloads happened. This fixed the problem and emails started working. We stopped the updates from installing.

The only other thing that may have caused this may have been that Outlook 2003 was installed upon the server.

Why is Outlook installed on the server? That's a bad idea!

Yeah, wasnt me that installed it and I removed it.

Calvin

I'd reinstall the Exchange binaries and any service packs after removing Outlook.

Dont have to. I rolled back the server to before outlook had been installed on it.

But still not sure what caused the initial problem and it wasnt repairable!

Calvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back