Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Oracle Agent and backup exec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyfram

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2003
Hi! I need some help...here's the scene:

I have a media server with backupexec9.0 (revision 4454) and the oracle agent. This machine is backing up an Oracle Database (8i) on a remote server that also has the remote and oracle agent installed on it (from the 4454 revision). Both machines are windows2000 SP4 with all the updates.

When creating the backup job, I can select the archive logs, control file, and all of the tablespaces, so I know the oracle agent is configured correctly on the remote server.

The backup starts and runs for 5 minutes before backing up 420MB. Then it sits there for another 5 minutes and the job will fail - every time. It crashes trying to backup the USERS tablespace. The error message is "a000fe30 HEX connection to target system has been lost. The backup set was cancelled". There are no events in the application or system logs for either the media server or the remote server. I've sent the logs to Veritas support 2 weeks ago and heard nothing from them since....Anyone encounter this?

Have you downloaded the latest Oracle Agent from the Veritas Support site. I had the same problem and the new agent resolved it.

-skymarvel

Thanks for the Tip.
I downloaded the new oracle agent and installed it on the media server and the remote Oracle Agent. It did not seem to have any effect. It still fails with the same error after backing up 420MB.

Know of anything else I might try?

Found the solution:

1. The database was in archive log mode, but the control the parameters in the control file were not uncommented. I removed the # from the start of the lines and then restarted.

2. I was using the system account for the oracle agent. I created a new user in svrmgr

create user <username> identified by <password>;
grant unlimited tablespace to <username>;
grant aq_administrator_role to <username>;
grant dba to <username>;
alter user <username> default role all;
alter user <username> default tablespace system;

Then used this new user in the oracle agent.

The job completed successfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back